Blood Born - chapter 10

I slept well into the following afternoon. I awoke when someone started slamming things down and opening doors followed by slamming them shut.

"Who is making all that noise?" I bellowed covering my head with a blanket.

"Do you know what time it is?" the voice asked.

"I do not care. I wish to sleep."

"Evelyn, get up. It's afternoon. Do you wish to sleep the entire day away?"

I peeked from beneath the covers and saw Elizabeth standing near the bed.

"If you would stop making so much noise, yes, I would like to sleep the day away."

"Too bad. You can't. The prince is requesting your presence in his study," she said, rolling her eyes.

"What does he want now?"

"To see his future bride. I'm not sure. Get out of bed." I sat up, holding the blanket to my chest and glared at the woman. "Evelyn! Did you sleep without your clothing? And the diadem is still in your hair?"

She shook her head at me while calling for one of the maids.

"Yes. I slept without my clothing. I was tired and didn't feel like searching for a sleeping gown."

Elizabeth held up a long, white piece of cloth. "It was very difficult to find."

"You called, ma'am?" a young girl asked, coming into the room.

"The princess needs a wash...make that a bath. Can you prepare a hot tub for her?"

"Of course." She curtsied and hurried from the room. Her cheeks were a deep scarlet when she realized I was naked.

Elizabeth untangled the pearls from my hair and handed me a robe to cover up. "Come on, Evelyn."

"I hate you, Elizabeth."

"No you don't."

"No. I don't." I sighed and climbed out of bed. "I don't know why I'm so tired."

"What did you do yesterday?" she asked.

I shook my head trying to think about what could have caused me to be so exhausted. "Nothing. It was a typical day."

Elizabeth led me down the hallway toward a door around a corner. Inside the large room sat a large, wooden tub. White fabric hung over the side as a team of men and women carried steaming buckets to it.

"Okay, so a hot bath would be nice."

I sat in it and allowed them to wash my hair as I scrubbed my body. I didn't want to get out, but James was probably growing impatient. I held my arms up as the many layers of my gown lowered over my head.

Today's dress was made of a beautiful purple silk and black lace. Elizabeth quickly twisted my hair atop my head and reached for a gold and ruby tiara.

"No tiaras."

"It won't kill you to wear one occasionally."

"The last one I wanted to wear turned out to be poisonous."

"This one isn't. Wear it, Evelyn." Before I could protest, again she tucked the jeweled headpiece into my hair.

"Elizabeth."

"Evelyn."

"You impossible woman."

"You impossible child." She arched her eyebrows at me and pointed toward the door. "Act like a princess, please."

I rolled my eyes and walked toward the prince's study.

Knocking lightly on the door, I waited.

"Princess Evelyn, please come in." The same tall man I had seen when we first arrived bowed as he opened the door.