Blood Born - chapter 5

"Do you think I will have time to prepare for a visit to Scotland with you?" Elizabeth asked.

"I'm sure you do."

"Yes," she said, furrowing her brows

We finished eating and strolled down the hallway near the great hall, pausing near my father's study.

The lights illuminated everything. I could see my father's mighty shadow from somewhere beyond my sight. My mother sat in a chair near the fire, while James leaned against the fireplace mantle. He held his head while my mother stared at the floor. My father's personal butler passed glasses of wine to the three people within the room.

I knocked on the door and waited for his personal groom to answer.

"Princess Evelyn."

"Henry."

He bowed while opening the door for us.

"Evelyn, wonderful. We were discussing the wedding."

"Oh wonderful. Would it be possible to visit Scotland prior to the wedding? I have never been there before."

"A visit?" Father asked.

"Yes, perhaps a progress through the English countryside to Scotlan?"

Mother and father exchanged knowing glances to one another.

"I think that's a wonderful idea."

I smiled at Charlene and elizabeth.

"What about Evelyn's safety?" father asked.

"Your kingdom isn't the only one with secrets, King Cassius."

"What is that supposed to mean?" my mother asked.

"I, too, have an elite guard. We can keep Evelyn safe."

"What if I send along Elizabeth?" the duchess Angeline, my mother's best friend, strode into view from somewhere.

"Mother!" Elizabeth exclaimed.

She kissed her daughter's cheek before sitting down near my mother.

"I wouldn't expect anything else, Angeline."

"Our guards would also accompany them."

"After last night, is there any question about James's ability to keep me safe? Or that I can protect myself?"

"You are like your mother. More than you know. You two could be identical if she were not so much older."

"I'm going to make sure that supper is being prepared."

"Majesty, your guests are arriving."

"Thank you, Henry."

"Princess, would you accompany me to the banquet hall?" James asked, holding out his arm to me.

I nodded my head and stood. We walked to the entrance and waited for the harold to announce us to the small crowd of lords and ladies. A majority of our nights had dinners filled with a lot of lords and ladies. They always wanted something from father and mother. I took my seat at the table with Jams to my right. A few of the ladies whispered and stared at James.

Charlene headed toward the kitchen to be sure the food was prepared properly and the vegetables not steamed to mush again. The minstrels began playing a harmonious melody as the courtiers arrived, taking their respective places at the large U-shaped table. As the night wore on everyone continued to wait for my parents. I could see everyone growing restless as they wondered where the king and queen could be.