Blood Born- Chapter 48

I didn't understand what was happening to me. I knew I was no longer fully human, but how much of me had changed? I stumbled back, my chest growing tight as my breathing intensified. Grabbing for the mantle of the fireplace, I steady myself as the room began to spin. James leaped to my side and wrapped an arm around my waist, trying to hold me up.

"Help me to the chair," I said.

My feet felt as though they weighed as much as Draco.

"What's happening to you?" he asked.

I shook my head as I stared down at my hands. "I don't know, but look."

I held them up for him to see. Scales slowly appeared down to my knuckles. They shimmered in the firelight. They were going to pose a problem in the future if we didn't get things under control.

"I have wings, scales, and talons. I'm turning into a monster."

"You are not a monster."

"Look at me!" I yelled.

A burning sensation grew in the bottom of my belly. At first, it tingled a little bit but as the moments went by it got hotter and more uncomfortable. I grabbed my stomach and doubled over, dropping to my knees.

"What?" James asked.

"My stomach."

I yelled out as the pain grew too much to bear. As I did, fire shot from my mouth, singing the rug in front of me.

"Where is Draco?" I groaned, pulling myself to the window. "He can help."

I couldn't make it. I stopped just an arm's length away, collapsing onto the cold stone floor beneath me. My body grew hotter and hotter. I could feel myself being drug across the stone and lifted up.

"Draco!" James shouted, holding me in place.

His voice seemed to be growing more and more distant. I should be fine. Why am I not fine?

I could feel the low rumble of Draco's voice as he spoke.

Who is he speaking to? James? Why can't I hear him? Why am I like this again?

The coldness of Draco's talons wrapped around my body, pulling me from the window and into the cool night air. The feeling of wind blew my hair about as I could feel myself being lifted higher and higher. The burning heat began to subside as did the heaviness. I opened my eyes to see Draco focused on the horizon.

"What is happening?" I asked.

"You're going through your changes."

"I know that, but why am I feeling like this?"

"These changes aren't going to be easy on you. There are a lot of differences between mortal humans and dragons."

"Obviously."

"Your body is trying to adjust to being half human and half dragon."

"It seems that the dragon is taking over most of me."

"Dragons are a very aggressive species." He lowered himself to a cliff that sat a ways off from shore.

The water sprayed up as the wind howled. It felt good.

I ripped at the dress that constricted everything and let my wings out. The breeze caught the feathers and billowed them out. The force jerked me back slightly, causing me to dig my talons into the stone. I felt so strong. So much stronger than I ever had.

"It feels good, doesn't it?"

"What?"

"Stretching your wings and not trying to hide them."