Blood Born - Chapter 19

We soared over the oceans, Draco's claws skimming the water as we went. I lay flat against his back, dragging my hand along the water behind the ripples he created. The saltwater splashed into my face. The feeling was refreshing. James and my parents would never find me. Not now. The Guild would call off the hunt. Everyone would be safe.

"Are you sure you still want to do this?" Draco asked.

"Yes. It's the only way."

"I'll be by your side through everything."

"How? They can't know I'm a dragon rider."

"I'll remain invisible."

"Only if you feel it's safe for you. I don't want you caught by them," I said.

"Don't worry."

I rolled to the side, sliding off Draco and into the cool ocean water. I glanced up through the waves and watched as he rose into the air before tucking his wings in. He slipped beneath the water in a splash less move. I could the current churn around me as he circled beneath. I kicked my legs and swam forward, enjoying the coolness. I could feel his body rise beneath me, pushing me toward the surface. We breached the surface, slowly lifting from the water. He let his wings out, water slicking off, as we zoomed toward the clouds.

"Enjoy your little swim?" Draco asked.

"Very much so."

"We're approaching Italy now."

"Already?" I asked, sitting up and staring at the small speck of brown in the far distance.

"Yes. You tend to get places much fast when you travel by dragon."

"I suppose you do."

A ship appeared below us. It was large and had an English flag flying high on the mast.

"Why is one of my father's ships out here?" I pondered out loud.

"Maybe he's doing trade with Italy?" Draco suggested.

"Of course, but that is a warship. There is no need for a warship in the Italian waters."

"I'm sure it's nothing, Evelyn."

"Or it's everything. What if they're hunting for the Guild like the Guild is hunting me."

"It'll be taken care of, Evelyn."

"Yes, by me."

Draco shimmered out of sight as we flew over the port of Livorno. The old, stone buildings stood huddled together on the island, surrounded by mountains on one side and the ocean opposite. Draco landed softly on the soft sand outside of the town. I slid off his back, rubbed his neck, and removed my goggles.

"What now?" I asked.

"I guess we start looking for anyone who may know or have seen the Guild."

"That would be a good place, I suppose."

"Are you alright?" he asked.

"I'm fine. Only slightly nervous."

"This is understandable. Will you be alright going into the town alone? I'm not sure they would like the idea of a dragon walking about."

"No. I'm sure they wouldn't. I will be fine, Draco."

I rubbed his muzzle and continued into the town. People bustled about the port town, not paying much attention to me. I continued about, looking for any sign of the Guild. I didn't even know what they would look like.

Are they all women? Do they have men? Do they walk around in their all-black stuff? Do I stand out?

"Fresh fish!" a fishmonger shouted from a stall beside me.