Blood Born - chapter 31

The lovely trinket about Elizabeth's neck glistened in the firelight. I held the pearl in my fingers examining the fine craftsmanship of the silver leaves and diamond hearts surrounding it. It hung low on her neck, held by the most delicate of chains. She smiled only a bit as her fingers traced the circlet of leaves surrounding the gem.

"Shall I begin to prepare? I have so many ideas for a fabulous wedding," I exclaimed.

"I believe we should prepare for your own wedding, dear Evelyn."

Sighing, I plopped onto the bed. "You know as well as I that a princess does not have say in planning her own wedding."

"Then you shall prepare mine!"

I'd never seen Elizabeth in such a state of excitement. A soft glow was upon her cheeks and her lovely eyes twinkled at the prospect of being a bride. I envied her. There was no doubt I would marry, it had to be done. I must carry on my family's lineage. Of course, it would be to a prince or king. The difference between Elizabeth and I was love. I didn't get to choose for love. I didn't get to choose for myself at all. Fortunately, my parents chose wisely and found a prince I would fall in love with, whether that was their intention or not. Glancing over my shoulder, as James reentered the room, taking up his place near the fireplace. He cast his gaze upon the burning embers of the burned wood. A crackling shot out splinters as the last log split and fell apart. The look he wore on his face was disheartening and sent a sick feeling to the pit of my stomach.

"If you'll excuse me, ladies."

I draped an arm over James's shoulders as he continued to stare into the fire.

"Have you heard anything?" he asked, keeping his voice low.

"Nothing yet. I'm not expecting Draco till tomorrow at the earliest."

"Do you think we shall battle soon?"

I shrugged my shoulders, loose curls falling off my shoulder and landing softly down my back. He side-eyed me as a smile played on his lips.

"Shall we marry prior to battling or after?" he questioned.

"I'm not sure. I don't know. You want to marry now?"

He let out a soft chuckle and turned toward me, his piercing eyes melting my very soul. My knees weakened beneath his hard stare. His strong arms wrapped about my body, keeping me stable. He always kept me stable. I learned more and more that he could be a man to rely on. He released his grip on me once the whispers of Charlene and Elizabeth permeated our personal moment.

"Did I hear mention of marriage?" Elizabeth piped up.

"Not yet! Elizabeth first."

"I do wish to marry before we battle. I want to fight side by side with you as my wife," he whispered into my ear.

"I know, my darling. We shall discuss our own nuptials at a different time. Right now we find out if your earl plans on marrying my lady."

"Actually, you two should talk. Elizabeth and I will let ourselves out. We have much planning to do for two weddings."

Exasperated with my dear friends, I let out a whoosh of a sigh as the door closed loudly behind them. Plopping onto the bed in a mess of damask and chemise, I let my head fall into my hands.

"What's wrong my love?"

"Oh James, what if it doesn't work? What if we can't defeat what's left of the Guild? What if there are still those who are loyal to them, or at least terrified enough to continue following?"

"We will fight as hard as we can. We will be victorious."

"You don't know that!" I stood, pacing the room.