Blood Born - chapter 11

We circled the castle a few times before landing behind the barn. People milled about the courtyard a bit too close to the barn.

"Don't get off. We're going to have to remain invisible until we get inside."

"Why are there so many people outside?"

"It is the King's fiftieth birthday. They are preparing for the feasts and festivals," Draco whispered as he carefully maneuvered around the building and people.

"They celebrate here?"

"Since his accident, yes. He is unable to travel. It is easier for everyone to come to Edinburgh."

The barn door remained open enough for us to squeeze through. Voice beyond the door grew louder as I slid off Draco and ran for the back room. As fast as I could I removed the armor and climbed into the gown.

Why do there have to be so many layers? I'm never going to get this on in time!

I hopped up and down, wiggling into the skirt. I yanked on the top of the dress thankful that the lacing was in front for once. Shoving the armor beneath a few blankets, I slipped into my shoes and ran out of the room as two men walked in.

"Oi! Lass, what are you doing here? This is not for visitors."

"Oh. Forgive me. I am Princess Evelyn. The prince said I could go exploring a bit. Sorry if I overstepped my boundaries."

"Princess?" Both men bowed and stepped to the side. "No bother at all, ma'am. We do hope you forgive our insolence. We thought you were an intruder."

"No need to apologize, gentlemen. I shall be out of your way. Thank you." I scurried out the door and into the castle.

I ran through the study the side door led to and down the hall. My heart pounded against my chest and my legs shook. Stopping near the staircase, I pressed my back to the cold stone to steady my breathing.

"Evelyn?"

I jumped and spun toward the voice. "Charlene! Hello."

"What's wrong?" she asked.

I shook my head at her. "Nothing. Nothing is wrong. I'm okay."

"You seem out of sorts."

"Not at all. I was actually looking for you and Elizabeth."

"Elizabeth is outside with a young noble. She seems rather preoccupied with him."

"Oh. Well, I hope he's pleasant." I grabbed her hand and dragged her toward the side door. "Come on."

"Where are we going?" she asked.

"I need to show you something."

At the door, James popped up seemingly out of nowhere. "What are you ladies doing today?"

"James! Hi. We're going for a ride. I need to get out of the castle for a bit."

"Is that wise, Evelyn?"

"I'll have Charlene with me. I'll be fine."

"A ride? Tha­-" I nudged her in the stomach with my elbow and smiled at James.

I maneuvered around him and headed for a smaller building beside the dragon's barn.

"I wonder what's in there," Charlene said as we passed it.

"Probably nothing. Just stuff the servants' use I imagine," I muttered.

"Why are we going for a ride? What do you want to show me and where?"