Blood Born - chapter 18

I snuck away to my own chambers. Looking around, I realized there was nothing I could or wanted to take. I took the tiara out of my hair and placed it on the desk. Leaving the area, I crept downstairs and out to the barn. I shed my gown and donned the dragon armor.

"Where are you going?" a deep voice asked from way above me.

"I have to leave, Draco."

"Why? You can't just leave. I am tied to you always."

"You don't understand. I have to. It's the only way everyone will be safe."

"What about your crown?"

"What about it?" I asked.

"What are you going to do when it's time for you to be queen or get married?"

"None of that matters, Draco."

"Evelyn..."

I stuffed the gown behind a barrel and stroked the side of his face. "Be good, Draco."

I slipped out the door and ran to the horses stable. My Friesian pawed the ground, anxious to get out.

"Easy girl," I whispered, rubbing her nose.

I unlatched her gate and led her toward the front door. Grabbing a saddle, I hurried onto her back and galloped away from the Scottish palace. A rush of wind swirled dust around us, sending my horse into a frenzy, rearing on her back legs as Draco landed in front of us. She bucked, catching me off guard, and tossed me to the ground in front of her. I gasped as the air rushed from my lungs, pain radiating up my back and through my arms and legs.

"Why did you do that?" I asked, attempting to sit up.

"You can't leave," he stated.

"It's not your decision," I shouted. "Get out of the way."

"Where are you going to go? Do you think people won't recognize the princess of England? The future queen of Scotland?"

"I don't know. I'm not worried about that right now."

"Wherever you go, I go." He sat in the middle of the road, smoke pouring from his nostrils.

"You can't."

"I can and I will."

I sighed heavily and watched the stubborn dragon. He didn't budge.

"Fine," I grumbled.

Draco nodded and stepped to the side. "Where to?"

"I don't know. I'm just riding right now and hoping the Guild will follow me away."

"So you're just going to run forever?"

"If I have to."

"You can't run forever, Evelyn."

"Watch me."

I nudged the horse into a gallop again, dust kicking up behind us. I heard a whoosh of air and got blasted in the face by heat. Draco wasn't happy with me. I didn't care much. I wanted to protect everyone else. I couldn't let anyone else get hurt or worse.

The sun sank behind me as I came upon a town. There weren't many houses, but there were loads of ships. I eased the horse to a walk as we approached what appeared to be the tavern. Loud music and talking came from within as the lights shone bright. I hitched my steed to a post and took a deep breath before entering. Men sat at tables with whores on their knees, the barmaid wiped at the bar top while laughing with a few of her patrons. I sat in a chair at the furthest end of the long counter, waiting for the woman to come to me.