Blood Born - chapter 21

I sat on the bed, letting the tears flow as terror engulfed every fiber of my being. The seriousness of my decisions fell hard on me. I'd known the Guild to be a violent group of people, hell they tried to have me assassinated a few times, but the fact they were so willing to kill their own simply to keep others in line was psychotic.

I couldn't match psychotic.

I jumped at the sound of stone scraping on stone. Trembling, I strained to see in the darkened room as a floating ball of light emerged from the wall.

"Why is it so dark in here?" a familiar voice asked.

"Anastasia?" I asked.

She held the candle up, illuminating her face. "I didn't scare you, did I?"

"Only a lot. My heart feels as though it will escape my chest!"

"I'm terribly sorry. Why haven't you lit your candles yet?" she asked.

I shrugged and sat back down. "I suppose I just haven't gotten to it yet."

"Are you alright?" She placed the candleholder on a nightstand near the bed and grasped my hand.

"I'm fine. I've just never seen such blatant disregard for life before. It's as though everyone here is expendable."

"We are. We're only here to serve their purpose. We must always serve our masters."

"That is ludicrous. We're all important women of our kingdoms. There is no reason why we should be manipulated into performing such evil acts," I said, shaking my head.

"Do not speak like that! You'll end up like, well you won't be around much longer if you keep speaking like that."

"We have to stand up to them," I continued.

"Evelyn, please, stop. You don't understand. We're supposed to report anyone speaking such nonsense. I don't want to report you."

"Then don't."

"They know when someone is questioning the Guild. They will know I heard you say such awful things and I'll die too. I don't want to die."

I looked into her face, tears glazing her big, brown eyes. My heart hurt for this girl. I barely knew her but I didn't want this sort of pain for her. Not for anyone in fact. Nobody deserved to be treated as such disposable property.

"What if I told you I am forming a plan to save everyone?"

"That's crazy, Evelyn. Nobody escapes from the Guild. Nobody."

"My mother did."

"Did she?" Anastasia asked.

"Of course, she married my father and had me."

"And where are you?"

Point made.

"I came here of my own free volition. I need to save my family."

"How are you going to save them when you're in the clutches of such evil men?"

"I don't know yet. I honestly didn't think my plan all the way through," I muttered.

"Do you have any experience fighting?" Anastasia asked.

I shook my head.

"Oh. Well, then you are handy with a weapon?"

I shook my head again.

She pursed her lips and furrowed her brows at me.

"I know I am not the most prepared, but there must be something I can do. They must have a weakness," I said, squeezing her hand.