Blood Born - Chapter 27

I clung to James. Afraid if I released him I would wake up and all would be a dream. The thought I could wake up still in the hands of the Guild terrified me. I inhaled his intoxicating scent deeply. It was of cigars, brandy, and burnt wood. He'd spent time in his study. I hoped it was making plans to find me even though I didn't want him to. I couldn't bear the thought of harm coming to such a wonderful man. Everything I did was for him.

"Where did you find her?" my father asked, sliding from his steed.

Mother tucked a stray strand of hair behind my ear.

"I was in Italy."

"Italy? What were you doing in Italy?" He turned to my mother confused. "How did you find her?"

"I had some help."

"Help? What kind of help, Joselyn?" Father asked.

Mother sighed heavily.

"Draco, dad."

"Draco?"

"He's a dragon."

My dad took a deep breath in, and James looked up at her.

"He's a what? I'm confused."

"How do you know about the dragons?" James asked.

Mother bit her lip and looked away. I could her contemplating what to say. She didn't want to reveal her knowledge of Scotland's biggest secret.

"Queen Joselyn, I asked how you knew of our dragons."

"I caught a glimpse of one years ago after Cassius and I were first wed. I wasn't sure about what it could have possibly been, but I was determined to find out. I never intended for you to get hurt, James."

"What are you saying?" I asked my mother. "You arranged my marriage based on a hunch?"

"She's saying she used me. She wanted to get close to a possible ally who had good resources." He shook his head and released his grip on me.

"I know our marriage was one based on mutual benefits though."

"I was deceived. There are no benefits for my kingdom to unite with yours." He turned away, storming toward the castle.

My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach as a lump formed in my throat. The tears sprung to my eyes as I watched him leave. He didn't look back or wait for me.

"What just happened?" I asked.

"I don't know," my father said.

"Why did you do that?" I asked my mother.

"I didn't mean for anything to happen. We make alliances with countries all the time."

"This isn't just an alliance. You arranged for us to marry. That's more than signing some piece of paper, mother."

I pursed my lips together, swallowing the lump in my throat, and ran after James. I couldn't let myself go. I had to fight for what I wanted. I wanted. We had to remain united, especially with the threat still in the world. The Guild wouldn't stop, not now. Not now that I lost all their girls and killed their watchers. I need him in so many more ways than he could imagine. Even if my mother arranged our marriage based on possibly gaining dragons, I loved him.

I ran through the front doors of the castle and scanned the large foyer for any signs of James. Catching a glimpse of his jacket billowing out around a corner, I dashed after him, holding up the hem of my gown.

"James!" I called. "Please, James!"

He didn't stop; he entered the study about to shut the door behind me. I lunged toward it, slamming my body against the wood.