Blood Born - Chapter 22

"Ladies, you did a satisfactory job today. You may eat lunch."

We got into our neat little line and started to leave the room. The instructor stood near a far wall watching us. He made me feel uneasy, his eyes narrowed to dark slits as his gaze landed on me. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end as I followed Anastasia out of the room. I glanced behind us, the instructor strolled a short pace behind us.

"What's wrong with him?" I whispered to Anastasia.

"Who?"

"That instructor."

She looked behind us and rolled her eyes. "I don't think he likes you."

"Why? I've never done anything to him."

"You didn't, but your grandfather did."

"I don't understand."

"He was banished from the English court before your father became king."

"That was over twenty years ago. He sure can hold a grudge."

"Yes, a lot of the teachers around here can. Most of them are banished lords of various courts."

"Oh," I mumbled, sitting between Anastasia and another girl with beautiful olive-colored skin; jet, black hair; and the saddest brown eyes.

The same servant girls from the day before brought out the large platters of food. I looked closely at the blonde who placed delectable fish in front of us. Her wrists were bruised an ugly greenish purple and there were chain marks around her neck. I reached out, grasping her hand and stared into her pale blue eyes. A sudden look of panic crossed her face as she wrenched free of me.

"Don't interact with the servants," the black-haired girl mumbled. "The Guild leaders will kill both of you."

"What?"

"Shh," she mumbled, taking a piece of fish.

I tore off a piece of bread and slowly chewed. This place grew more interesting by the moment.

Now I have to save the servants as well as the assassins.

I went through the motions of the rest of the day. The classes and instructors only got harder and more unbearing. They had no qualms tearing girls down and making them feel as though they were nothing. I assumed it must have been another means of keeping everyone in line. Destroy the confidence they once possessed.

When we sat for supper I noticed that the blonde servant girl was not present. I glanced about the room throughout the entire meal hoping to catch a glimpse of the girl to no avail.

"Why wasn't she at dinner?" I whispered to Anastasia.

"Who?" she asked.

"The servant girl. She wasn't there."

Anastasia shrugged her shoulders and continued toward her chambers. "Don't think of it, Evelyn. It will only make you sadder than what you should be while here."

"What happened to her?" I urged.

Anastasia sighed heavily and paused near the staircase. "Anything could have happened to her. She could be dead; she could be locked up in the kitchen pantry, in the dungeon, or in the stables."

"Why are they doing that to their servants?" I questioned.

"They didn't start as servants."

"Pardon?"

"They used to be assassins."

"How..."

"They weren't able to impress the Guild leaders enough to remain assassins but proved to be useful as servants."