Blood Born - Chapter 45

Sleep held me strong. I didn't know how long I had been sleeping. The flames were what roused me from slumber. My eyes fluttered open and wanted to scream. Green, blue, red, and orange flames engulfed my body. My heart pounded in my chest as I realized I was not burning up. I wasn't dying. I tried to sit up. I tried to move.

"Wh-what's going on?" I asked, my throat feeling like it was on fire.

"Don't resist, Ellie. This will help," a soothing voice said from somewhere beyond the flames.

"I don't understand what's happening."

"It's time," another voice said.

My mind whirled. I was confused and lost as to what was happening. "Time? I don't understand. Time for what?"

"For you to give up your earthly body."

"My earth...you mean die? You want me to die!" I shrieked.

"No, you silly child. You already died. Your life ended."

"But, I'm alive. I'm talking. I'm here." I wasn't sure if I was trying to convince them or myself.

I felt alive. I saw my children. My husband. My parents. Oh, God. My children. I couldn't leave them. They're so small. They need me. My country needs me. I pushed myself up and slowly stood. My legs shook as the flames followed me. She swirled about my body not like they wanted to take over and destroy me, but gently caressed my skin as if it were kissing every part of me. The clothes I had were all that burned. Looking up, I saw the dragon elders. They stood in a circle around me, blowing their fire. I stood before them, naked and scared. Unsure what was going to happen. Holding my arms up, I noticed them shimmer. It wasn't very obvious, but the shimmer was there. My entire body shimmered. Nothing changed though. I knelt before the elders and sobbed. Part of me worried for my family. Part of me worried about changing. I wasn't even sure if I was ready to become, whatever I would become. I shook and trembled as the ritual continued for what felt like forever. But, as all things go, it eventually ended.

"I don't understand."

"What is there to not understand?" a brilliantly red dragon asked from off to my left.

"I'm, I'm still human."

"That is merely the form that you have retained."

"What? I'm confused."

"You were not born dragon. You will always have a piece of your humanity," Syrrith said, stepping forward from amongst the rest.

"Syrrith. What am I?"

She reached out a scaly arm and let a claw rest on my heart, which seemed to glow brighter than my shimmering skin.

"You are everything, yet nothing," Fafnir said, standing next to Syrrith.

"Everything and nothing?"

"Just as your children are everything yet nothing."

"My children?"I inquired. "They're babies."

"They are born of dragon riders. Of the dragon heart. It is quite unusual, there has never been more than one of you at a time."

"They're not normal." The babies unusually bright blonde hair made a bit more sense.

"Normal they shall never be. They are both dragon and human. The connection between the human world and ours."

"So what am I?" I asked.

"The protector. You are mother. The children will be what bridges our two worlds. They will keep the peace."

"I don't know what to do."

Fafnir placed his claw on my forehead. "Use your mind. Remember that you are dragon. You are human. The advantage you have over us is that you blend in. You will have our strength. Our power."

"Your power?" I asked.

"Yes. All dragons have power. You died. You have become dragon."

"Alright. So the moment I died, I became a dragon. But I'll stay as a human with your powers?"

"Exactly," Syrrith replied, nodding her massive head.

"You must return. Danger is still imminent."

"Danger? Who?"

"The ones who cannot die. The ones who tried to kill your mother and father." a green dragon said from behind Fafnir.

"The ones who cannot die. The ones who killed Elizabeth and have been hunting me."

Syrrith nodded her head yet again.

"The Guild."

"Yes."

"How do I kill those who cannot be killed?"

"The one who made them as they are. She can reverse it."

I sighed heavily. The ones who have been interfering with my life since everything began. The witches.

"I shall seek them out."

Draco and I turned to leave. The sky was dark as clouds loomed on the horizon. The time had come for me to finish my mother's work. I am an assassins daughter. I am a dragon rider. The dragon heart. Protector of our realms. My life wasn't the only one at stake.

Can I die?

My children. My parents. James. The girls that the Guild retained after my escapade. I must save them all. It was time to stop hiding and waiting.