Blood Born - chapter 8

"What were you doing in there?" he asked.

"Exploring."

"Find anything interesting?" He narrowed his eyes as I struggled to find an answer.

"Interesting? What do you mean by interesting?"

"That building is off limits."

"It's a barn. What are you hiding in the barn?" I questioned.

"Nothing. Just stay out of there."

"You don't want me to see the dragons do you?"

He took a deep breath and shook his head. "Draco."

James brushed past me and into the barn.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Draco!" he hollered.

A gust of wind stirred up dust and a soft thud sounded from the center of it.

"Majesty."

"You told Evelyn about, well, you?"

"Yes. The girl was curious. You've spoken highly of her I did not see why she could not know."

"It's not a secret I wish to let the world know."

He snorted, a small spark of fire erupted from his nostrils.

"You breathe fire!" I exclaimed excitedly, running my hand over the scorch mark on the floor. "That's why the wall looks like that!"

James sighed heavily. "A few breathe fire. There are two that breathe ice. There are those who manipulate the earth. And one that can manipulate the air."

"So there are various kinds?"

"Of course! Is there only one kind of human?" Draco asked.

"Well no," I replied.

"So why would there only be one kind of dragon?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know."

"You humans." The dragon snuffed out.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend."

"You humans never mean to, but you do." He snorted hard enough a puff of smoke trailed from his nostrils.

"I really am sorry, Draco."

"Enough. Evelyn, I didn't mean for you to find the dragons. I didn't think you'd go exploring. At least not soon."

"What's wrong with me knowing about them?" I asked.

"Nothing. Really. I just prefer not to have them known to the world."

"Why?" I asked.

"The last time the world knew of the dragons, people hunted them. They were nearly killed off," James said, stroking Draco's neck.

"Our eggs were smashed. Our hides adorned castle and manor walls. Men were given high-ranking titles based upon the size of the dragon he slew. It was dark times for us," Draco added.

"I don't understand why. If you're so helpful to James and civilized, why did they hunt you?" I asked.

"They were ignorant to our kind. They cared not that we could help you."

"Why do you help James?"

"His father was kind to us. He rescued our eggs and put them into hiding so that they may hatch and grow. He provided a sanctuary for our kind when nobody else would. That is why we take riders and fight alongside the Scottish army."