Blood Born - Chapter 32

"Oh, my heavens!"

Charlene tugged on my arm as I lay there. "What?"

"Evelyn, wake up! The king is in your bed and your mother is coming up!"

"Oh! James!" I pushed him with all my might till he fell out of the bed.

"What is the meaning of this?"

"My mother!"

"Mother?" he asked sleepily, looking around. "Oh, Mother!"

He jumped up and ran for the door with Charlene and I close behind. He stopped short as the door handle turned.

"Shit," he muttered.

"What do we do?" I asked, looking around frantically.

"My room. Hide in there," Charlene whispered, pushing James toward the connecting door.

Just as she shut the door behind him, mine flew open.

"Evelyn, are you still asleep?"

"No, Mother. I am awake."

"Good, good. I've been thinking a lot about your wedding."

"My wedding? Already? I'd much rather..."

"Shush now, child."

Rolling my eyes, I turned toward the bureau to find something to change into. Charlene placed her hand on my shoulder and squeezed lightly. She saw my jaw clenching and unclenching. The irritation my mother caused at times was overwhelming.

"Mother, really now, why is there such a rush? James and I have plenty of time to wed."

"Darling girl, it is time. Procrastinating the wedding will do no one well. You shall marry the king in a week's time."

"A week? A week! How am I to prepare for a wedding in a week's time?" I asked in a near panic.

"You are not planning this wedding. Everything is already arranged. There is more help arriving from England in a day's time."

"Mother."

"This is not up for discussion, Evelyn. A seamstress shall be around in an hour's time to begin on your gown."

"But..."

"No. My word is final."

I slumped onto the bed and stared out the window. The connecting door squeaked open as James approached me. Tears welled in my eyes, threatening to spill over.

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault, James. It's my mother. She's so domineering. She's so much like my grandmother no matter how much she denies it, just a little nicer."

"We don't have to wed."

Shaking my head, I sighed heavily. "No, we will. I'm not arguing with her and I do want to be your wife. I just wanted to focus on Charlene."

She dropped to her knees in front of me, a smile plastered on her beautiful face. "Do not worry for me. I can take care of myself."

I shook my head hard enough that curls bounced about my shoulders. "No! You are not to take care of yourself! I will. I'm not just your lady. I'm your friend. You're my best friend."

"Then we'll take care of each other. Let me help you with your wedding, then you help me with mine."

Nodding my head, we knew it was the only thing to do. As much as I wanted to wait, that wasn't going to happen. Mother would have her way. James grasped my hands in his and turned toward me. He kissed my cheek lightly and stood.