Blood Born - chapter 2

I paused outside the great hall, contemplating running away again.

"Don't do it, Princess Evelyn."

"What, Charlene?" I asked.

"I know what you're thinking. Just go in and do as you are supposed to."

"I always do what I'm supposed to do. That's the problem," I muttered.

I turned to look at the girl. My maid. My friend. "Don't you ever want to throw off that gown that is forced on you and just run free?

"Of course, Ellie. We all want to just run about and be carefree. We can't though."

"Why not?" I pouted.

"That's not how the world works. We all have jobs and stations in life. My station is that of a handmaiden. A third daughter of a third son of a duke. I can only hope to find a husband higher in life than myself."

"We should want more out of life."

"Evelyn, I can't understand why you are so against your parents. They only want what's best for you."

"No, Charlene. They want what is best for them. They want me to be this perfect princess. Do as they say. Marry who they choose."

"You were told of your mother's past, weren't you?"

"Yes, Charlene. I know that my mother was this assassin or something."

"Not just an assassin. She was one of the top assassin's. She did something that no other assassin was able to accomplish. She killed one of the leaders of the Guild."

"How do you know this? And who is this Guild?"

"There are some things us servants know that others don't."

"Tell me! Please. I need to know," I begged, grabbing her hand. "Help me understand that infuriating woman there."

"Queen Joselyn grew up as Lady Joselyn. Her parents, your grandparents, were the duke and duchess of Suffolk. They were a powerful family. Your grandmother continued pushing your mother for things throughout her life. When she was six the queen was sent to France to learn and grow under Queen Marie."

"Yes I know all of this."

"What you don't know is that the king and queen of France recruited your mother to the Guild. What they didn't know was just how evil those people are. Your mother had to swear an oath to never fall in love, to sacrifice everything to protect the king, and to follow everything the Guild says without question."

"What happened?" I asked.

"Your father."

"What?"

"He fell in love with your mother. He wanted to marry her."

"What did she do?"

"You're standing there aren't you?" Charlene asked.

"Yeah." I looked at her and she arched her eyebrows. "Oh."

My mother gave up everything to be with my father.

"She confronted the Guild and killed the youngest of the brothers who lead the assassin's."

"You know a lot about this."

"Like I said, Evelyn, we servants know everything," he said, knocking on the door.

"I'm not done asking questions!"

"You can learn more later."

"Yes?" a man asked, popping his head out the door.