Blood Born - chapter 7

I stared out the window watching the backend of a guard's horse for most of our journey. The rain didn't let up until we crossed the border from my kingdom to James's. The grass seemed to grow greener. Elizabeth and Charlene leaned against one another, snoring peacefully as we continued to amble toward Edinburgh castle.

"We shall stop for a short break," James announced, pounding on the roof of the carriage.

I poked my head out the window and saw a modest castle a short way in the distance.

"Where are we?" I asked.

"Lockerbie. One of my lords lives here. He should be fine having us for a quick lunch."

I nodded my head, anxious for an opportunity to stretch my legs.

"How long until we reach Edinburgh?"

"A few more hours. We'll be there by sundown."

"Good."

Something in the distance caught my eye. A meadow near the castle began to blow about as if a massive gust of wind swept through; however, there was no wind. I sat up and watched as the large, golden stalks bent to the ground.

"Do you see that?" I whispered to James.

He peered over my shoulder. "See what?"

"That. There. The tall grass, how it's bent?"

"It's just the wind, Evelyn."

"In that one spot, James?"

"I don't know. I'm sure it's nothing." He sat back against the seat as we continued along to the castle.

I didn't think it was anything. It seemed so odd. I craned my neck around to watch the area. I lost sight of the grass once we stopped in front of the castle.

"Stop worrying about it, Evelyn."

"I'm not worried, just curious."

"Well stop. Let's go inside."

I took his hand and descended from the carriage.

"Lord Beaufort," James said as a tall, lean man greeted him at the stairs.

"Majesty, it's so very nice to see you." His thick Scottish accent was almost too hard to understand.

He seemed young. Not much older than James. His mop of red hair hung, shaggily on his face. He wore a doublet of fine black satin. His breeches reached his knees while the rest of his legs were covered with thick, white stockings.

"I would like to introduce you to Princess Evelyn of England. She's on progress through Scotland on a peacekeeping trip."

"Welcome, princess. It's so very nice to meet you."

"Thank you, sir. Um, has there been any unusual wind in the past few minutes?"

"I'm sorry?" he asked.

James rolled his eyes while Charlene and Elizabeth looked at each other.

"I noticed a bit of an oddity in the field over yonder and Prince James mentioned it being the wind."

"No. I don't believe anything odd has occurred."

"Strange," I said, staring at James.

"It's nothing, Evelyn."

"So you say."

"Please, won't everyone come in? I can have lunch prepared for everyone in just a short while."

"That would be great," James mumbled.

"Yes, thank you," I replied.

"Evely, stop with the wind. You sound mental," James whispered.