Blood Born - Chapter 49

I landed rather clumsily on the edge of my window sill. I could see James sleeping inside. The babies' bassinets had been moved while I was gone. I crept along the edge, peering into windows until I found their room. A fire roared and they were tucked nicely near the warmth. A guard stood near the door while my mother slept in a chair between the slumbering babes. I sat, allowing my scaley legs to dangle over the edge of the stone castle, and watched. Not for long. This was a rare opportunity to see things from a different perspective. I leaned against the corner of the window where stone met glass and turned my gaze to the sky above. The stars shone bright and the moon hung high in the sky. For anyone not privy to what I knew, you would assume it was simply a peaceful night. There was nary a thing to fret about. Almost as though the world was at peace.

I knew differently. I knew that peace would not be achievable as long as the Guild existed. My life had already changed vastly because of them. My children would never have a normal life. My husband was thrown into such a crazy mix of things because of what my mother was at one time in her life.

A soft knock on the glass brought me out of my thoughts. Charlene stood, arched eyebrows, with a blanket held out to me. Smiling lightly at her, I used my claws to pull the window open.

"Much thanks." I turned as she wrapped the heavy fabric about my wings and shoulder.

I didn't realize how sore my body would feel after flying.

"You need to come here," she whispered, motioning toward the babies.

"Why? What's wrong with my babies?" Panic rushed through my body, I knew something was bound to happen.

"Oh, they're fine. They're just, um, going through a bit of a change."

"What sort of change?"

"Apparently the same you've gone through just since you left," she mumbled.

"What are you talking about?" I queried.

"Your hair, Ellie."

I reached a clawed hand up to my head, expecting nothing but scales, but was relieved to run my fingers through my hair.

"What about it?"

"It's, uh, quite different."

I groaned and walked toward the full-length mirror. It took everything in me not to scream. My blonde hair had been replaced by shockingly white hair with deep red streaks.

"Oh," I managed to mutter.

Charlene pursed her lips and nodded.

"How?"

She shrugged her shoulders and motioned toward the babies.

I glanced in their cribs and was met with quite a sight. They weren't turning into the monster that I was, but they were incredibly beautiful creatures. Elizabeth's pale skin contrasted against her stark white hair. She cooed lightly and stared up at me with the most strikingly ocean-blue eyes. Connall had fiercely red hair and deep ruby-colored eyes. Definitely not normal.

"That's not all?"

"What? What else could there be?"

"They are quite magnificent. Very intelligent."

"Eh?" I questioned, hesitantly reaching a clawed finger out to them.

They both squealed a delightful baby squeal and grasped my fingers. I smiled at them but glanced at my hands. Elizabeth's tiny, pudgy fingers were turning my finger blue and covering it with ice while Connell channeled an extreme heat to me.

"It doesn't hurt you?"

"Of course not, Charlene. They're my children. They're me." I leaned forward and kissed each babe on the cheek softly. "Fire and ice. Opposites that both give life and can take it. Opposites that are both needed in order to exist."

"What?"

"They're going to do great things. They will be changing the world."

"Why do you say?"

"Perhaps it's the dragon in me. Perhaps it's the mother. Hell, maybe it's both, but Elizabeth and Connall are extraordinary children."

Charlene nodded and stared down at them. "What shall we do for a nanny? Especially if they have such intense powers already. Connall gave Queen Joselyn quite the burn earlier."

"Oh, mother. Is she alright?"

Charlene chuckled. "She's fine. She was a bit startled when it happened. But the most peculiar thing happened."

"What?"

"When Elizabeth heard the queen yelp in pain, she placed her little hand on the burn and it just went away."

"Curious. So their powers can cancel one another out. I wonder if they can also enhance each other given the right circumstances?"

"I don't know, Evelyn. You have given birth to quite the unique pair of children."

"So it seems I have. What does James say of all of this?"

"He's perplexed." She smiled as Elizabeth let out a yawn and closed her eyes.

As she slid into sleep a small cloud seemed to form from nowhere above her, snowing lightly onto her body.

"That's interesting."

As Connell fell asleep it seemed that his bassinet was engulfed in a soft flame.

"As is that."

I watched with wonder at my children. Not human. Not dragon. Something entirely new and something quite magnificent. My heart wasn't entirely full of joy though. Deep down I knew that the Guild would find out about the babies. They were not safe and would not be so long as that group of evil was still alive. I had to eliminate them. I had to protect my children and my people.