Blood Born - chapter 16

I slid off Draco once he snuck into the barn. I hurried out of the armor, staring at my stomach where the arrow had pierced me. There wasn't a mark. I ran my hand over it, trying to find a bump or anything out of the ordinary. Nothing happened.

How is this even possible?

My world felt turned upside down, everything I'd thought to be real and true was not. I grabbed a knife hanging on the wall and sliced my palm open. Blood pooled to the surface, but the wound healed as I watched. My breath caught in my throat and I had to stifle a yelp.

What did that witch do to me!

"Evelyn?"

"Y-yes, Draco?"

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," I whispered.

"Did you cut yourself?" he asked.

"How did you know?" I opened the door and looked up at him in bewilderment.

"My palm slit open."

"I did that."

"Why?" he queried.

"I had to see what she meant by I'm immortal. It just healed on its own. What's happened to me?"

"You're immortal."

"But the cut?"

"Yes, that's one of the things about being immortal, minor wounds will heal on their own immediately. Something worse, that isn't life-threatening, will take a bit of time. As long as neither of us dies, we live forever."

"Forever?" I asked.

"That's what immortal means."

"Our life forces are connected," he said.

"Oh."

"Hurry and dress before someone comes in."

I nodded and grabbed my gown, pulling it on just as James walked through the door.

"Where have you been?" he asked.

"Um, with Draco."

"You've been gone for hours! There was a search party out for you."

"I'm sorry. I have to..."

"Never mind all that, let's get inside."

"James, I have to tell you something."

"Later, Evelyn. A masquerade started. You need to get ready."

"A masquerade? I have nothing for it."

"Things are taken care of. You just need to get ready."

I nodded and left him in the barn, wishing he'd let me tell him this news. Once inside my room, I saw a cream-colored gown hanging up. The shoulders were non-existent. Straps of red roses hung down. The front split at the skirt, each side lined with more roses. The inside petticoats were covered in stitched, red roses and were a beautiful, yet different shade of cream.

"Where have you been?"

"Training," I muttered.

"You're filthy. Hurry to the tub. You need cleaned," Elizabeth said.

I nodded and did as she commanded.

"You're not going to argue with me about it?"

I shook my head and hurried down the hall to the tub room. Maids were already heating up water for me to clean myself. I climbed in and sat on the soft linen as water dumped over my head. I watched as dirt and blood ran into the water. My eyes widened at the sight of the reddish brown water.