Chapter 24

So, you know what happens when you're in a storm? Everything is extra  loud and things are falling off shelves and getting crushed, and chaos reigns. Well, that's exactly what it felt like when I stepped into the house. My mother was shouting and throwing things everywhere. My dad however was just sitting down.

Tristan was next to me not saying a thing and I was shouting back at my mother.

"Enough." my father said.

"Are you going to let her act like a spoilt brat?" my mother actually stomped her foot like a 5 year old child.

"It is obvious Tatiana has made her point about marriage and if she is truly happy with HIM, then I cannot say anything. We wanted her to get married and she did. Even though it's not with the boy we want her to  get married to, we have no other choice but to accept." he said calmly.

I didn't expect that. Not at all. Something was definitely up.

"But, what she didn't know was that in the contract which entrusts all of her money and I'm sure Tristan's parents did the same thing cause I did the same contract with his father, it states that to inherit everything, they need to stay married for at least a year." he said with a smug look.

Tristan's eyes looked like they were about to pop out of its sockets. He got up and took out his phone and stormed out of the room. Presumably calling his father of course.

"What do you mean papa?!" I tried to sound calm but I think I failed.

"It means that you stay married till the end of the year and you get 20 million dollars. If not, you don't"

"Well fine then. I don't need your money. I am fine by myself. I make good money already. I don't need yours."

"Yes cara, I know you are a successful lady but all my hard work will just fall into the  Hendersons and the legacy will be gone. MY empire. No big deal. We both know your brother doesn't know a thing about the business so... that's it." he shrugged. He had the nerve to sound like he was talking about the weather.

"Why on earth would anyone come up with STUPID contracts like this? WHY?!" I screamed.

"Because apparently. Our parents think whoever we choose would just be after the money. If they picked our partner through a known family, it's harder to get screwed over. Unless the go ahead and screw us over anyway." Tristan walked back into the room and sat next to me. 

I could tell he had a serious conversation with his father and it was a strained one cause his veins on his neck seemed to pop. There were also blue-black marks... Oh crap. Those must be the hickeys I gave him.

I pulled my focus back to the ongoing conversation. "So now, the three companies have become one and we are practically the best media corporation out there. Unless both of you are getting a divorce, then everything will crumble down. A year of marriage. That's all. If you do not find that after a year you STILL don't love each other, you can get a divorce and of course, Inherit everything."

We left the house slightly after that, and the car ride back was pretty silent. There were plenty of questions going through my mind.

"What are we going to do?" I blurted.

"I read your father's contract and according to what my father said, your contract is way stricter than mine. We go through with it." I gulped when he said that. 

"So, we don't actually have to... Umm I mean it's alright if the both of us wanted to see someone else right?" I said. The only reason I said that, was because I didn't think he would actually want to carry out this play with me right? He probably had a long list of ladies in line.