Interlude: As They Sleep

Interlude

As They Sleep

Darkness. Endless, consuming darkness was all that surrounded Terron.

He didn't understand anything. He didn't know where he was or how he had been whisked to the strange place. He only knew that he idly drifted in the vast blackness, nothing distinguishable in the strange void. He could feel no pain, no fatigue, no feeling. All sensation was simply gone.

There was only emptiness, just like the world he found himself in.

What… is this place?

So you are here as well.

Terron stopped. He knew that voice. He looked around him, but found that he couldn't see anyone. The black holding him wouldn't allow him to see the other wandering Pokémon in the abyss.

Do you know what this place is, Yimtri?

I'm afraid not. I only awoke just a moment ago.

Are we dead or something? I mean, the last thing I remember was Erebus sucking out the rest of our energy when those Fellowship leaders were chasing us. Did the leaders end up getting Erebus even after she absorbed all of our vigor and managed to kill us?

I highly doubt it. We would not be the only ones drifting in this void if we were truly dead. The others would be here with us.

Well, we're both the same person, so maybe this is just where the two of us stay before we finally merge back into one person.

Tch, you're still going on about that? I already told you; we are not the same being. There's no reason to ponder in it any longer. Discard that senseless thought out of your mind.

You're joking, right? You already know we're the same human. I gave you all of the evidence. You even admitted that I was right. Even Erebus told you that we were the same human.

I never admitted to anything. I simply gave up trying to convince you otherwise because I knew that you would continue pressing the question if I didn't agree with you. I thought you would be satisfied with my answers and drop the subject. But, it seems that you are even more persistent than I thought. You will not let it go.

God, you're still as much of a pain as you were when I first met you. Every time the two of us saw each other, we were always fighting each other and screaming for the other to do as we wanted. We even had to nearly kill each other just to listen to each other. I don't even know how we came to our agreements when we were doing that, that weird trust thing or not.

There was silence.

... you're right.

Wait what?

... we do tend to argue very often. Even now we argue, both unwilling to back down from our stance on the situation. And yet, whenever we argue, we seem to arrive at the correct conclusion somehow, just as the voice of reason and the voice of emotion do in a singular person's mind. It's a curious thing that I did not realize until now. And if it is true, then... truly we are two parts of the same singular identity.

So you finally admit that we're the same human?

Yes. I do. It took me a long enough time to realize it, but yes, I understand now. In all honesty, I do not want to think that you are my other half. Some of your actions disgust me and so do many other things regarding yourself. Like the fact that you did not think before you acted for the longest time and were nothing but a tool to your own emotions.