Chapter 61: Talk To Us

Chapter 61

Talk To Us

Terron awoke to the smell of roasted berries lingering in the air sometime the next morning. With a quiet yawn and a quick stretch of his arms, he slowly opened his eyes to find Novus already awake, eating from a pile of roasted berries beside him. The Cubone rubbed the tired out of his eyes as he got up and sat down beside the Quilava. The sunlight leaking in from the holes in their makeshift safe house hurt Terron's eyes for just a moment and forced him to squint his eyes, but his eyes were soon to adjust.

"Finally awake I see," Novus remarked. "Was wondering when you were going to wake up."

"What time is it?" Terron asked as he took a red berry from the pile and munched it down.

"Three hours after dawn. Not a terribly late time I'll say, but still a bit baffling that you've slept for so long when you normally wake up near dawn."

"Well I didn't really have an excuse to wake up so early. Not like we have any important missions to do right away. We just have to find your stones and we have all day to do that. Besides, it feels good to just be able to sleep in. It's refreshing, especially after that long flight here."

"Fair enough, I suppose."

Terron glanced around the room, and was soon to find that something was amiss. There was a little too much light in the room, and it didn't take long for Terron to figure out why.

"Hey, where's Nyx?" Terron asked as he brought his gaze back to the Quilava.

"I don't know," Novus shrugged indifferently. "She was gone when I awoke this morning. I suppose I should be alarmed, but she's done this so much that it doesn't even faze me anymore."

"Wait, what? When did she do this?"

"The entire time you and the others were in your comas. Whenever I woke up, no matter how early it was, there'd be times Nyx wouldn't be there to help me watch over you four. It didn't happen every morning, but quite a bit of the time I'd find myself alone with a handful of comatose, defenseless Pokémon to look after for several hours. She always came back with any sort of breakfast she could find, but I know that she didn't go off on her own to go hunting. She said it was because she wanted to be alone for some reason. Never said why, only that she needed time to herself. It somewhat reminds me of the behavior the ground-types have where they like to avoid others' company."

"So what, you think she's doesn't like being around anybody?"

"Somewhat. She never really did enjoy talking much to me when it was only the two of us while we watched you four. She'd never initiate a conversation with me, save for when she told me her turn for watching you was over and I was to watch or vice versa. She'd talk to me if I tried to strike up a conversation and they could go on for a while, or she'd speak to me about something on her mind occasionally, but otherwise, she'd keep to herself for the most part. She never talked about herself even unless I asked. She only really started to talk to me after all of you woke up, but that was only one time."

Terron nodded silently. Though he hadn't spent too much time around the Darkrai, he could see Nyx in the way that Novus was describing her. She certainly gave off a distant and quiet vibe that wasn't necessarily hostile, but enough so that it became intimidating to others. She almost gave off the impression that she was completely detached from most conversations, as if she was only participating in the conversation because she had an obligation to do so. He knew that Nyx had some conversations with him, such as during the previous night, but they were always short and to the point. They weren't allowed to branch out.