Chapter 26: Succumb to Madness

Chapter 26

Succumb to Madness

Erebus Woods S29

"Rooooh!"

The sharp end of Terron's bone sank into the Croagunk's stomach, making the large frog let out a deafening cry. Terron pulled out the bone as he kicked down the enemy, bringing forth a large burst of blood into the air. Without further delay, he jumped onto the Croagunk as he brought his bone into its body once more, this time into the heart.

The Croagunk let out one last cry before it fell silent, its eyes becoming dull as its spirit left its body. Terron let out a sigh as he took his weapon out of the corpse.

"Finally killed one of them, I see. I didn't think you had desensitized yourself into killing yet."

Terron turned his head to find Yimtri standing a few feet away, right next to a corpse of his own. From what the Cubone could remember, it had been a Torchic that was attacking the Sableye earlier. Yet, it was hard to believe it had been one thanks to its distorted state. Yimtri had ripped it to pieces.

"I don't really kill things that often," Terron said. "Only when I have to. But yeah, I can kill things. It's not that hard. It's really easy, in fact. And I had to kill this thing since it was moving too fast for me to hit its head."

"Good to hear that," Yimtri stated as he glanced at the Dusk Sphere in hand. "No one can afford to be so reluctant for long. Not in this world."

Terron nodded slowly as he made his way off the Croagunk. He took the bloodstained bone and wiped the blood onto one of his many bandages. He really hated holding his weapons whenever they were covered in blood. It always felt disgustingly sticky and reeked of his recent kills. He hated that smell.

As Terron cleaned the bone, he saw Syn come his way. He had wandered off while the three of them were walking, which was shortly followed by the attack of the Croagunk and Torchic. Terron had been too busy fighting the frog to really concern himself with where the Snivy had gone to. But now that the Snivy drew close, Terron could see what had been going through Syn's head.

In his hands were not one, but two evolutions stones: a Thunderstone and a Firestone. He must have seen them off in the distance. With a large smile, Syn came rushing over to the Sableye and Cubone. But, when he saw the corpses resting by their bodies, his smile immediately faded.

"Oh… sorry for leaving you guys," Syn said unsurely, averting his gaze from the decaying bodies. "I probably should have waited and helped you dealt with these guys…"

"No, it's fine," Yimtri assured. "They attacked us after you had run off anyway. You have no reason to feel guilty. You've collected Erebus's valuable treasures, and that is nothing to be ashamed of."

The Sableye took the evolution stones from the Snivy's hands and carefully put them in his satchel. Syn glanced at his now bloody paws before shuddering and wiping the blood onto the grass. He was very quick to bring his hands off the ground, for not even a second after he made contact with the grass, the tentacles appeared to grab him. Thankfully, he had managed to avoid their grasps.

"So, that makes five stones so far, right?" Syn then asked as he adjusted the bandages around his head.

"Yes, that's right," Yimtri said as he searched through the bag. "Two Thunderstones, one Moonstone, one Leafstone, and one Firestone. A decent collection that I'm sure your Fellowship would appreciate."

"And you guys don't know why all of these evolution stones are here?" Syn asked.

"No, we don't," Yimtri said blankly. "We really don't. All we know is that Erebus seems to produce them endlessly. We know nothing else."