Chapter 35: Imprisoned By My Own Choice

Chapter 35

Imprisoned By My Own Choice

Though I am "Novus" to those who know me, it was not the name I was born with.

No, my true name, bestowed upon me by my father, was much more prestigious and eloquent. For a time, I wore it proudly. I deeply cherished it. And unto this day, I still treasure it. But there came a time when I found I could not stand to answer to that name anymore.

Ever since my first encounter with those wretched abominations known as the Plagued Ones, I discarded the name in favor of a new one: Novus. As much as I detest having to wear this false name as a Cubone might hide behind an ivory mask, I know that I must, for I no longer wish be known by my true name. I feel I am no longer worthy to hold my true name anymore.

Now, I am Novus, meaning "new" in an ancient human language. I feel this name carries, in part, the same weight of my true name, for there are so very few Pokémon with names that are blatantly of human origins, just as my true name is so rarely worn by anyone. Such an example would be Éclair from what was the Aurora Town Fellowship. Her name is "flash of light", but I hardly believe that anyone other than myself and perhaps even Éclair herself know that. After all, Ninetales are such intelligent creatures. When they are given a name, they no doubt understand the purpose behind such a name.

As for me, there is a reason I am able to recognize names of human origin here in this world of Pokémon, when there are not many others who can. That is a topic for another day, perhaps.

It has been a week since the Flygon Fellowship leader took myself, the human, and Zekra away from Aurora Town. We have been staying on an island that is about an hour's time of flight away from the west coast of Shiron. The name of such island is Shirra, and it is a reasonably large island. Shellshore Village is the name of the settlement in which we now dwell.

This place has become home for the three of us. This place, this tiny rock, surrounded by miles of Kyogre's great seas, sealed away in blissful ignorance from the Fellowships and the war against the foul Plagued Ones. This tiny mound of Groudon's creation is all that remains for us to call home.

We are being cared for by a Sylveon and Glaceon, who already have an Eevee as their only child. They treat us with such love and tenderness, as though we actually were their own children and simply not castaways. At least, for the human and Zekra, they treat as such. They extend their care to me as well, but not without a heavy measure of awkwardness; they can see I am an adult, capable of caring for myself. Though they treat me among their litter of children, serving me four meals a day and assigning my share of household chores, they hesitate to ask me why I am here. I know that they don't wish to show me such thoughts and do everything they can to hide it beneath their guise of nurturing kindness, but I know it to be true. I see it whenever I stare into their eyes.

I can see so much about anyone just by gazing into their eyes. They're the windows to the soul. If there is ever a time you want to understand someone, and you cannot find a way to open their heart, simply look into those windows for a brief moment, and you will see their true selves shine before you for just a glimmer of a second. It's through this simple way that I am able to see the hidden pain and thoughts of all those around me.

It is how I can see the pain of my two companions. Here, I sit in the sand near the shore, watching the human and Zekra speak to one another in the distance. I can understand most of their conversation from where I am, but I choose not to eavesdrop. Instead, I simply observe them.

Compared to the Pokémon they were when I first joined Team Vendetta, they have changed. For one, they have changed in outwardly appearance. Previously, I would have found it difficult to imagine Zekra without the Deception Amulet attached to her neck at all times, but the Glaceon stripped it from her on the day we arrived. It would, of course, have made it possible for her to leave this island prison of ours, perhaps even to take the rest of us with her as well, if she could harness a strong illusion of a powerful swimming or flying Pokémon. Thus, she couldn't have been allowed to keep it, if we are to carry out our punishment in full. Though she tries to hide her feelings, I can see, through her eyes, that a piece of her soul has been taken away when she lost the amulet.