Chapter 43: From Shadows

Chapter 43

From Shadows

Zeverous, in his false Arcanine form, sprinted out of the empty woods surrounding Dusk Mines and into an open field. Every bound sent a jolt of searing pain into his muscles, nearly breaking his illusion every time. Yet, he pressed on. He had to leave Shade and the other Fellowship members far behind him. He couldn't afford to have the captors catch him and the ones in his company.

He glanced back to find Terron, Zekra, and Novus still clinging to him, but just barely.

"Zev, we need to find somewhere to hide," Zekra said weakly. "You can't keep running…"

"I know… I know," he said between pants. "I'll find something…"

Zeverous hastily looked about the vicinity, desperately searching for something that could provide shelter. Surely, even among the seemingly endless fields that were lined with nothing but grass, there had to be a place where they could hide. Somewhere that the Fellowship could not find them, even if only for a short time.

He managed to spot several hills sprouting out of the ground not too far in the distance. Seeing his chance, the false Arcanine picked up his speed and bolted for the sight. When he came to one of the hills moments later, he brought himself to a halt. He bent down and gently rolled onto his side, his passengers landing in a heap beside him.

"Don't worry; we're here."

A bright light washed over him and turned him into a Sandslash. He quickly plunged his claws into the side of the slope with haste, cutting into the dirt with ease. Seconds later, a makeshift cave stood before him, tunneling deep into the hill. He ceased his illusion and became a Zoroark before he scooped up the team in his arms and carried them inside.

Then, he sealed the entrance shut with an illusion.

X

Just as the hill's gaping hole was covered with a false, grassy slope, a Mismagius and Chandelure seeped out of the ground where the team stood seconds ago.

"What a clever tactic," the Chandelure said. "Then again, I shouldn't have suspected anything less from a Zoroark. Their illusion capabilities can be quite astounding, especially if one has become plagued."

"Well then, I believe it's time we find Mistress Shade and report our finding to her," the Mismagius said eagerly.

He swooped back to the base, the Chandelure swiftly following behind him. The many groups of Pokémon searching about the area paid the two no mind. When the ghosts came to Dusk Mines, they found Shade leaning against the outer wall, wearing a long, unpleasant scowl.

"Mistress Shade," the Mismagius said as he and the Chandelure stopped before the Tyranitar. "We-"

"We could not find the team or their plagued Zoroark," the Chandelure abruptly cut in. "And from how things seem, I do not believe anyone else has found them yet either. The entire plain is deserted. I strongly suspect that they fled into the skies."

The Mismagius shot the Chandelure a glance, but she subtly flared up one of her flames for just a second, forcing him to stifle his disbelief with a grim frown. The Tyranitar's scowl seemed to deepen as she glanced off into the direction where Team Vendetta had escaped.

"So I see," she replied. "Well then, seems I have a new order to give those here as well as have someone bring my partner and Chrysalis here. There's a situation that I need to discuss face-to-face with them…"

And with that, the mighty Tyranitar walked away and disappeared into the empty forest. The Mismagius and Chandelure watched her leave until she was completely gone from sight.