64.) Missing You...

MAMA KENNEDY
The next day

"Do you see yourself marrying dat knucklehead?" I asked Skylar as I braided her hair.

"Yeah, I can." She answered and I smiled. "You guys don't plan on having kids yet do you?" I questioned and she laughed.

"Nope, we have my sister to call our own for now." She said and I smiled. "Smart girl." I replied picking up the hair oil and applied some to her scalp.

"Is it easy taking care of her?" I asked and she nodded.

"She doesn't ask for much... I just wish I could get her back already. My Dad doesn't deserve to have her, I made one mistake that wasn't listed in her medical records." She explained.

"They knew it was a mistake, maybe your Father set da whole thing up. Not da whole have abre almost die part, but da moment he found out about her in da hospital I'm sure he called dat Child Protective Service lady... I just know they know each other." I told her and she messed with her bracelet.

"I feel the same way... she called me Ladybug and that's the name my dad calls me... August said maybe my dad told her, but it felt as if she said it to tell me something." She explained.

"You think so?" I asked and she nodded.

"Maybe you should ask her about it da next time she shows up." I suggested picking up the comb.

"I think I will." She mumbled.

"Mama Kennedy?" She called. "Mhm?" I hummed. "How old are you?" She asked and I laughed.

"Thirty." I lied and she giggled. "Seriously mama." She said. "Forty two." I told her. "You don't look it honestly, I guess that's why people say "Black don't crack." She quoted and we both laughed.

"Absolutely, especially if you live a stress free life and mind ya business." I informed and she laughed.

"I'll keep that in mind." She said as I applied hair oil to the rest of her hair.

"You should really start just wearing your natural hair, it's pretty long and full." I said picking up the full lace wig.

"Trina tells me that all the time, I just feel like keeping it in protective style helps it grow quicker and keeps it healthy." She said as I picked up the glue to secure the wig.

"I never knew you could do hair." She said. "Hell, Donell had a head full of hair growing up, some times people thought his ass was Puerto Rican or some. I hate when folks think a full black person can't be born with "good hair" like what in the world in "Good hair?" I stressed and she laughed nodding.

"I blame the Black community for that, they're used to mixed kids having "Good hair" so if they see a regular Black person with healthy, well taken care of and lengthy hair, they'll assume you're mixed with something or that it's not all yours." She explained and I nodded in agreement.

"Sure do, anyone can have "Good hair." All you have to do is take good care of it and know how to manage it. It's so simple and easy." I said.

"Try telling that to those who only think you have to be mixed to have "Good hair." She said and I laughed nodding.

"Folks will actually argue you down about stuff like that." I informed. "Trust me, it happens all the time at our Salon." She informed and I shook my head.

These kids this day in age just don't know.

**

AUGUST
Atlanta