71

Dylan

The minute I got on that plane to go back to New York, I missed Josephine. My thoughts traveled back to her every time I let my brain be quiet about other things. I didn't want to leave her, ever. And I couldn't wait for the day when she would get on a plane with me and I'd never have to leave her again.

I was also feeling nervous. Tomorrow, I'd meet my brother and sister. I wondered what they looked like. Did they look like me? How much of them resembled our father? Were they kind and innocent, as children should be?

These questions bounced around the caverns of my brain as I sat across the table from my mother at her house.

"Honey, I'm so glad you're okay!" She said when she opened the door and saw me. "You had me worried sick!"

"I'm sorry," I apologized. "I needed to get away for a few days. I'm back now, and I think we both know that we need to talk,"

She was quiet as she listened to my words.

"I know," She finally said. "Come in and sit, I'll make some coffee."

I sat at the table as she rummaged around her kitchen, pulling out coffee grounds and mugs as she began making our drinks. I watched her as she moved around and I saw how weighted down she seemed to be. It was as if cinder blocks were tied to her legs as she walked, each step was calculated and heavy.

When she sat with me, I looked at her tired eyes and messy hair, and I instantly felt guilty for leaving without telling her where I was going. I knew I was an adult, and I didn't need to tell my mom every time I went on a trip, but she had obviously been worried.

I wasn't the type to just run away without a word.

"I'm sorry for leaving without telling you," I said, placing my hand over hers. "I went to see Jo. I needed to not be here while Johnathon was in your house."

"You don't need to apologize," Mom told me. "I should not have allowed him to speak with you without asking you first. I am not completely sure how he found out where I live, but he seemed sincere in his apologies, and as much as I hate him for what he did to us, I don't want to deprive you of a relationship with your father should you want that."

"I don't want a relationship with him." I insisted. Mom nodded along with my words. "And I was shocked that you had just let him in. I don't want you to put yourself in a place where he can control you again, Mom,"

"I know,"

There was a break in conversation. We sat in silence in my mother's dining room, the sound of the coffee pot was all that could be heard.

"I'm going to meet Anthony and Claudia," I said. Might as well rip it off like a bandaid. "Tomorrow,"

Mom sucked in a breath, taking the information in. After digesting my confession, she nodded her head.

"I support your decision," She told me. Her eyes held a mournful hope. "You deserve to know your family,"

"It's a weird feeling," I confessed. "Knowing that there are people who share the same DNA as me, but I never knew they existed until now."

"You'll be a great big brother, Dylan," Mom said with a smile.

I could still see the sorrow in her eyes.

~

Know that feeling when you know you didn't do anything wrong, but at any moment, you fear that you might be punished? That's what it was like every time I was around my father.

The only difference now was that I didn't have to feel like that all the time.

I was sitting on the steps of the Museum of Natural History, waiting to see the salt and pepper color of my father's hair in the crowd. He told me that Anthony liked dinosaurs and Claudia was into astronomy, so I figured this would be a good place to host our first meeting.

My gut churned as I waited; my foot tapped anxiously as the rest of my body was still. People passed by on the street, carrying on with their lives while I was stuck in a perpetual mood of nervousness.

I saw my father first.

He walked down the street with a girl and a boy on each side of him. One of their small hands was in each of his own as they came closer, their short legs carrying them across the pavement. I knew that they were only ten, but somehow they seemed to be smaller than how you'd think a ten year old would be.

"Hello Dylan," Johnathon said when they reached me. I stood from my sitting position. My hands were starting to sweat.

"Hey," I nodded. I wanted to keep the conversation with my father as short as possible.

The boy hid slightly behind our father's leg, while the girl stepped forward, her eyes were questioning.

"So you're our brother?" She asked straightforwardly.

I was taken aback by the way she took the subject head on, like she had always known who I was. I looked down at her, and saw her eyes were the same color as mine.

"Um, yeah," I scratched the back of my neck. "You're Claudia, right?"

"Yep." She said. "You don't have to use my whole name if you don't want to. Claud or Claudie is fine, that's what Tony calls me,"

I glanced over at my brother, seeing that he began to step away from Johnathon and come toward me a little more.

"Hey there," I said. "Is it alright if I call you Tony?"

His little head nodded and he looked up at his dad. Johnathon looked down at both of the kids before turning to me.

"Well, I've got some errands to run," He said. "Will you be alright with them?"

I didn't know the first thing about Tony or Claudia, and was about to tell my father that as much as I hated it, he might have to stay.

But then I felt a small hand in my own. Claudia smiled up at me, her fingers resting against my own. Tony moved to stand with his sister, both of them holding hands.

I didn't know them, but the whole point of today was to get to know them. And that's what I planned to do.

"No, I think we'll be okay," I said. "We're just going to walk around the museum for a bit."

"Okay," He seemed slightly skeptical. Yeah right. "Well, I'll be back here in an hour or two to get them, call me if anything happens."

He crouched down to the twins' level.

"Bye Daddy," Claudia said, hugging him.

"Goodbye Sweet Pea," He kissed the top of her head.

When had he become so affectionate?

"Bye Little Man," Johnathon turned to Tony.

"Bye Dad," Anthony's voice was quiet.

Johnathon nodded to me and I nodded back before he walked away, leaving me and my siblings by ourselves.

"So," I looked down at the twins. "Who wants to go inside?"

~

A/N: WHOOP WHOOP SIBLING MEETING XD

Next chapter will be the rest of their day together ;)

All the love, xx