60

Josephine

It was surreal, being back at school after experiencing a life where I wasn't confined to a blocked out schedule for eight hours every day. I walked down the halls, passing people I did and didn't know, nodding politely to some and giving a small hello to others.

My phone rested in my back pocket, imploring me to pick it up and call him. It was my only source of communication with Dylan right now, and I wanted to spend all of my time talking to him.

My hands itched. It was like they were restless, wanting to go out and think for themselves. I knew why I was feeling this way; I had sent him a letter.

I smiled softly to myself as I thought about it; we hadn't sent letters in a long time. It was just something that felt like the right thing to do; a small reminder of what brought us together in the first place.

When I walked into my Calculus class, my eyes scanned the room for my best friend. My vision zeroed in on her; she was bent over the desk, her thumbs flying thunderously across the screen of her phone. She had a small smile on her face and her tongue was pushed into the bottom of her cheek, making her slightly resemble a chipmunk.

"Hey best friend," I said casually as I dropped my books onto my desk, right next to hers.

"Hello best friend," Megan hummed in return, not looking up from her phone.

"Is Jeremy really more important than me?" I asked jokingly.

Meg smiled sheepishly before she turned the device over on the desk, so the screen wasn't visible.

"Sorry," She said. "But we haven't stopped texting since you and I got home."

"It's alright," I smiled back at her.

"Everyone, take your seats and get out a piece of paper," Mrs. Cranston said from the front of the room.

She turned around, beginning to write an equation of limits on the board.

I heard Meg huff in annoyance, writing in scribbled text on her paper.

"Can anyone tell me what the limit of the function is as x approaches five from the negative side?"

"Nobody cares what the limit is," Meg mumbled beside me.

"Shh," I said, trying not to chuckle.

"It's true," She said back. "Math is stupid."

"I know, but I'd like to keep my A, thank you very much."

"Goody two shoes,"

I stuck my tongue out at her before going back to my notes as Mrs. Cranston worked through the problem at the front of the room.

~

"How was your day?"

I loved the sound of his voice. It never ceased to make me smile or feel comforted.

I was laying on my bed, my feet resting on my wall as I hung over the side, my phone pressed to my ear.

"It was alright," I replied. "It feels weird to be back at school,"

"It feels weird not having you here,"

"Yeah," I said softly.

A moment of silence passed. It was comfortable, like we were in the same room together, rather than states apart.

"So," Dylan said after a moment.

"So?"

"I got something in the mail today,"