13

A/N: Pre-chapter warning, the last part of this chapter does contain fairly detailed accounts of physical abuse, so if you are triggered by this in any way, I deeply apologize but it's important to character backstory/development!

Anyways, enjoy this chapter, guys xx

~

Dylan

"Dearly beloved, we're gathered here today to celebrate the joining of Amy Erickson and Samuel Robinson in holy matrimony,"

I stood off to the side of the ferry as the preacher at the front of the outdoor observation deck rattled on about the joys of being man and wife. Snapping pictures, I adjusted the angle of my lens and the changed the flash settings.

It was 4:15 and the ceremony had just begun, and everything was perfect for a ferry wedding. The sun was shining, there was minimal wind, and so far, there had been no major wedding catastrophes to address.

My job was easy, all I had to do was stand around and take pictures of everyone. The obscure relatives that nobody really liked but invited anyway out of respect, the bridal party in all their drunken happiness, the flower girl and ring bearer who were both still young enough to think that the opposite gender were gross, the parents of the bride and groom with their teary eyes either from joy or the sinking realization that their bank accounts were severely depleted by wedding fees, and most importantly, the bride and groom. The two people who were in the spotlight the entire day, celebrating their love for each other and officially starting the rest of their lives together.

"Now, Samuel and Amy will recite their vows,"

I snapped a few shots of the alter, the bride staring dreamily into her future husband's eyes and the groom looking positively lovestruck. I smiled as I took the photos, and I suddenly wondered if Josephine liked weddings. Had she ever been to one? Did she share the same view on them that I did, or was she a modern day cynic that thought marriage was an outdated concept? I wouldn't bet my money on the latter, she didn't seem like a person to disregard customs that the rest of the world considered old.

I was slightly anxious about what she would think of my latest letter, I tried to be open about myself in hopes of getting her to open up to me. It was obvious that she was turned off to talking about herself, and I didn't lie to her when I said that I'd be patient, but I wanted her to know that she could tell me anything. I felt there was this unspoken contract between us, that we could tell each other secrets or things we only ever thought to ourselves, and we wouldn't have to worry about our deepest thoughts being publicized for the whole world to view.

The pastor continued the wedding ceremony, and I let my thoughts wander more, snapping photos every once in a while when the lighting was right or when someone showed a genuine look of happiness or love that I would want documented, were it my wedding day.

Ever since seeing her picture, I couldn't get Josephine's face out of my head. She was incredibly breathtaking, and I longed to know what had hurt her so that she felt so depressed. I wanted to be a friend to her, so she would know that there was at least one person in the world who still cared, even when it seemed that no one else in the universe did.

"Excuse me," A voice at my elbow said.

I looked over and saw an old man standing next to me. He was stooped low, a walking cane by his side, and he was wearing a brown three piece suit with a bow tie.

"Isn't it a lovely wedding?" He asked.

"Definitely, sir," I replied. He had a twinkle in his eye that showed he was still youthful, even if his body wasn't.