35

Josephine

Josephine

"Jo, seriously. Marry this man, or I'll do it for you," I vaguely acknowledged Megan's words, too busy staring at the letter in my hands.

I felt tears of joy well up in my eyes, but I blinked them away; I didn't want to cry and have Theresa tell me to redo any of the beautification I had done. I reread his words, committing them to memory. He had said gifts; what else was supposed to come?

Meg looked over my shoulder, gazing at the picture Dylan had sent. She whistled lowly.

"Man, the hottie can sure take some pretty pictures," I chuckled at her self-proclaimed nickname for him.

"He definitely can," I agreed with her.

I brought my hand down to my wrist, once again admiring the piece of jewelry. I thought it was beautiful; I don't know how it was possible, but Dylan already knew me so well. This was something that I would have picked out for myself  if I had seen it in a shop somewhere.

Always reach for the stars and your dreams aren't as far away as you think, he had said.

I thought of his words and declarations of how much I meant to him, and I found myself falling for him a little more. I wanted to speak to him and thank him, but as I pulled out my phone to text him just that, Theresa called Megan and I. More guests had arrived.

~

The party was in full swing and I was tucked into a corner with Megan at my side. Voices and bodies were all around; enjoying conversation, music and food.

"Why can't we mingle?" Meg asked. She was bouncing up and down on the balls of her feet; restless.

"Go mingle," I said. "You don't have to hang around me the whole time,"

"Yeah, but it's your party. It's your birthday." She looked at me with a guilty expression.

"Meg, it's fine," I laughed it off. "Go enjoy the party. You know that this isn't really my thing anyways,"

With one more questioning look, asking if I was sure, Meg left. I watched her electric hair disappear into the crowd of bodies of my immediate family and my parent's friends. We weren't by any means rich, but our house was big enough to sustain a great number of people, and Theresa did throw a good party.

I looked around the room at all the faces that crowded my house; examining the expression of everyone having a good time. Nobody seemed to be paying attention to me, so I pulled out my phone and typed a message to Dylan.

Thank you for my present, I love it x

His reply was nearly instant.

I was wondering when you'd text! It's no problem Josephine, a pretty girl deserves a pretty gift