20

Dear Josephine,

Firstly, no. Refraining to call you pretty, isn't an option. Secondly, I bet you're cute when you blush.

I understand where you're coming from, it's uncomfortable when people apologize for something they have no control over but feel obligated to apologize for. I wish I had siblings sometimes, but then I think about my mom and how it's seemed to always be us against the world, and I feel like she's all I need. I think that maybe my mom is my best friend in the whole world...we've been through so much together.

I don't mean to say it again, but I'm sorry. Losing your mom and then your sister...that's a lot of heartbreak so early in life. I don't know if you should give me so much credit for that...all I'm doing is talking to a friend. :)

April sounds like a great little girl. I agree with you, whatever all-powerful being is up in the sky was cruel when it took her. It sounds like you guys were attached at the hip, I think that's sweet. I bet you were the best big sister ever. Isn't it good to be reminded of her so often? I mean...yeah, it's like reopening a wound to think about her, but it's good to know she's still there, right?

I feel that it's only fair to share part of my April story since you shared yours with me. I told you that it's always been me and my mom against the world...that's because we've always had to protect each other. When I was a kid, my father used to drink a lot. Every night when he came home from work, he would immediately go to the fridge and grab a beer. He spent his free time passed out drunk in the living room, and in the rare moments when he was awake...he would get violent. He used to just hit her, and then when I was big enough, I protected her. I took the beatings for her because she didn't deserve to feel that kind of pain. He hit me from the time I was eight until I was fourteen.

Switching gears now...Lucas isn't always like that, he's a good guy if you get to know him. So is my friend Jeremy. We all grew up together, it's been the three of us for as long as I can remember.

Megan sounds great. She would be my favorite person too if she called a bunch of bullies evil puff-haired pixies.

Port Townsend sounds like a nice place to be. Maybe one day I'll get to see it for myself (only if you'd be my tour guide, though.)

You work in a bookstore? Why does that not surprise me? I can see you now, hidden behind stacks of books and shelves, your nose between some pages.

Thank you, I take pride in the photos I take...I feel like it's important to document our lives around us. To have something to show others that we're more than we seem on the surface, and to remember the most important moments in our lives. Of course, I'll send you more photos sometime, I don't mind sharing my work with you.

My mom and I play this game when we see someone that looks interesting, it doesn't really have a name, but we make up backstories for the people we see. It's like writing a verbal book, I guess. You can make anyone be who you want, and you can imagine a life for them that someone wouldn't exactly expect at first.

We also have lunch together every Saturday and spend the day together; it's the only day a week where I have absolutely nothing going on, so I try to spend as much time as I can with her, because I don't live at home anymore.

I think my mom would like you, you're both similar in your tastes. She's the warmest person I've ever known...she welcomes anyone with an open heart and mind, it's magical to see how bright her soul is.

The reason I ask about your favorite authors is 1. I'm intrigued to know, and 2. I might check some of them out. Since you gave me authors, I'll give you musicians; Neat Neat Neat by The Damned, Why Don't You Get a Job by The Offspring (one of my favorite songs) and Power of Two by Indigo Girls. That last one is of my mom's favorite groups, she listens to them all the time. I think you'll like them.

Thanks, Jeremy came up with the name. We play around at the bars of Manhattan mostly, that's our demographic, I think. Sure, I can send you one of my original songs...I haven't written anything in a while, so I'll have to proof some old ones for you.

Josephine, this is the second time you've called me attractive...keep it up and I'll think you have feelings for me (again, a wink here.) And who said I was teasing? Thank you for admiring my "teddy bear heart" as you said, I like to think I'm a charming guy.

Good to know you find teddy bear hearts endearing...something for me to keep in mind.

Yours,

Dylan

PS. If you insist, there's nothing I can really do to stop you from calling me that, but just know that I highly protest.