29

Josephine

I woke up to a feather-light touch on my left foot. I barely noticed it at first. Then, as my brain came out of the hazy fog that was Dreamland, I felt it. It was small at first, but as it continued, the urge to move my foot away grew. I twitched lightly, trying to leave the sensation behind, but failed when it only followed my foot to its new resting place. My foot twitched again; for a third time, I felt the tickling feeling on the heel of my foot.

I kicked my foot out to the side when I couldn't stand it any longer. Hearing a soft 'oof' sound and then uncontrollable laughing, I slowly raised my head from the pillow it was resting on. There on the floor in front of me, was Megan. Her face was red with laughter and her boisterous giggle was erupting from her lips as her body shook with humor.

"Megan Elizabeth Markee," I said slowly. "What the hell are you doing?"

Still enveloped in laughter, she didn't answer me, only continued to try and catch her breath. She began breathing more controllably as her laughter died out; she wiped the small tears that had gathered in her eyes and got off the floor, plopping down on the bed beside me.

"Morning Grumpy," She said with a wide smile.

"What do you want? Why was that the way you decided to wake me up?"

"Mom is making pancakes," She said. "And I woke you up that way because I thought it would be hilarious, and you know what? I was right,"

She laughed again and I pushed my hand out to smack her, but she moved out of the way before I could reach her.

"How late did you stay up?" She asked me.

"Uhh," I said, pushing my face into the pillow, willing sleep to come back. "One. I think."

"Why so late? I've known you for years and you never stay up past eleven."

I lifted my face from the pillow, looking at my friend and smiling at her. Now that the memory was back in my head, his perfect voice speaking into my ear, I found that I couldn't make the grin on my face go away.

"What?" She asked. Her face held a confused expression, waiting for an explanation.

"Don't freak out," I said, still smiling. "Oh Hell, freak out. I'm freaking out,"

"Freak out about what? Tell me," Meg dragged out her words and gently shook me by the shoulders.

"We talked last night," I told her. "Like, on the phone."

I watched her face stay confused before the realization slowly dawned on her. Her mouth folded into an 'O' shape and then morphed once again, turning into a wide smile.

"You talked to him?" She asked. Her eyes lit up as I smiled and she let out a squeal. "Oh my God. What was it like?"

"Better than I imagined." I said honestly. "He has this slow gravelly voice and a rumbling laugh. His voice is soothing too, I think I fell asleep during our conversation,"

I smiled sheepishly as she began oohing and making kissy sounds at me while playfully pinching my cheeks.

"My little lovebirds!" She yelled triumphantly, pumping her fist in the air.

"Stop," I laughed, shoving my face back into the pillow.

"No," She whined, pulling my arm. "It's time for pancakes and details! You can't leave me hanging!"

I caved when I looked up and saw she was pouting at me, her red hair tied in a knot on the top of her head.

"Okay, okay, fine," I said. "I'm awake."