33

A/N: Feeling generous so here's another chapter :)

~

Josephine

I was awoken by the smell of French toast. I smiled, stretching out in my bed; French toast was strictly a birthday specialty. It was my favorite breakfast food, and every year, Theresa would crack out and make enough French toast to last my "Birthday Week" as she called it.

Getting out of bed, I raced to the kitchen, my stomach grumbling the whole way. I walked into the room, immediately seeing two stacks of cooked French toast on the counter. I grabbed a piece, tearing off a bite and popping it into my mouth. Theresa was standing in front of the stove, a spatula in her hand and her headphones on. She always listened to music when she cooked; dancing and lowly singing along to whatever song was playing in her ears.

I creeped up behind her, lightly putting my hands on her shoulders and laughing when she jumped, slightly startled. She turned around, smiling when she saw me, then morphed her face into a mock frown.

"Don't think that just because you're eighteen now that you can scare me like that," She said in a faux 'mom voice,' taking off her headphones. "Happy Birthday, Jo,"

She engulfed me in a hug, holding me to her and warming my heart. I allowed myself to fall into her, giving myself over to her motherly embrace.

"Thanks Tess," I said. I rarely called her that; it was usually dad's thing to call her by her nickname, but I was turning over a new leaf.

"I made your favorite," She gestured to the stove, then her eyes settled on the food in my hands. "But of course, you've already found it."

I just smiled, tearing off another piece of French toast and putting it in my mouth. Theresa turned back to the stove, flipping the toast and continuing to cook. I grabbed a plate, sitting at the table after loading up on more food. There were all kinds of toppings and spreads for the toast on the table; apple butter, maple and blueberry syrup, peanut butter, etcetera.

I licked my lips slightly, reaching forward to grab a knife so I could spread peanut butter on my food. When I sat back, I saw dad walk into the kitchen. He smiled, coming over to me and kissing my forehead.

"Happy Birthday sweetheart," He said.

"Thanks, Dad," I smiled at him before he went over to Theresa, kissing her and saying good morning.

When all the French toast was cooked, the three of us sat at the table, eating together like we always did. I looked at my parents; they looked softer now, like all the hard edges the summer had carved into them were suddenly airbrushed away.

As I took a bite of my food, I felt a soft draft brush through my tangled hair. It was barely there, but I felt it. I felt it and I knew that April was with me today; she would be here with me and hopefully so would my mom.

I smiled at Dad when he made eye contact with me, and I felt happy. Today would be great; sure, I was still dreading the big party later today, but for now everything was perfect. Just me and my family.

~

"Hold still,"

"Well quit pulling out my hair and I will,"

"Stop moving!"

Theresa was standing behind me while I sat in the chair at my vanity. She wanted to 'fancy up' my hair for the party, and since I wasn't really the type of girl to always do my hair, I told her she could do it for me.

I winced as she combed through the tangles of my mostly dry hair.

"Why don't you ever comb your hair when you get out of the shower?" She asked, holding up a piece and trying to run the comb through it.