14

Dear Dylan,

I didn't know you were such a flirt! That's okay, flirt all you want, just know that I'm terrible at it. Thank you for the compliment...I've never thought myself to be beautiful. I know that I have features that are considered pretty, I've been told I've been pretty by a lot of people in my life, a lot of them being family, so I can't really believe them right? Family is supposed to tell you that you look pretty.

I don't know if I'm ready to tell you the whole story yet, but I'll tell you a little about April. She was my sister, and she died three months ago. It's been really hard on me; she was one of my best friends in the entire world, and then suddenly she wasn't there anymore.

Yeah, you were right about Rebecca. She isn't really a mean girl per say, not toward me anyway. You know about bullies? Just your garden variety bad boys that think they rule the school or some other kind of monster? In whichever case, I'm sorry you've had that experience. I hope that your life now is a great improvement to your life then, and like you said: it's all about how you view yourself.

I agree with you, I think this is the start of a friendship. Which is good, I don't know if it's the same for you, but I could use a little more friends in my life right now.

New York sounds amazing. I can't wait to be in it all, to experience the things you experience there, to see the people and hear the sounds and smell the wonderful foods. That street artist sounds lovely, have you ever spoken to him? Does he tell you about his art if you ask?

I know that it's a little weird to ask about the rain, but it's my favorite type of weather. April and I used to dance outside when it rained, and it used to make my parents so mad because we'd come inside and soak water everywhere in the house. I miss things like that, being able to be silly or stupid with her and having the time of my life.

Sounds like your mom and I would get along well, books are one of my favorite places to escape to. I love being embraced by the stories, the characters that come to life in my mind and take me on their adventures. I can change the world I'm in with just a few pages, giving life to my imagination.

You're a musician? Do you write your own songs or play covers? I think it's nice that you have views about music that are still authentic; I know that in this age, everything is about money and being successful in the eyes of the public, and I think it's cool that you have kept your priorities straight for this long.

Thank you for the sentiment, I'd like to write for the New York Times or maybe the Wallstreet Journal. I used to write stories for April, she was my first biggest fan. I want to be in investigative journalism, something where I can dig around and find the facts about some event. I want to share the things I find with people in a way that everyone can relate to or understand, and everybody follows the news, right?

Sure, you could be my tie to NY. I'd like that. You can consider me your tie to Port Townsend if you want, but I don't know why you'd want to remember such a small town where nothing ever happens.

Wow, a musician and a photographer? No wonder you're so photogenic, you're a rockstar and you know how to work a camera. Your thoughts on weddings are something I've never seen in an adult male before, aren't all guys supposed to think that marriage is overrated because if they get married then they don't get to "play the field" anymore? I went to my cousin's wedding a few years ago, and it was absolutely wonderful. I don't know if I'd like to have a wedding, where everyone looks at me the whole day, but I'd like to get married someday. I want to have someone to spend my whole life with, to take care of and have take care of me.

You definitely seem like a teddy bear, I think your mom was right about that.

Yours from a small town,

Josephine

PS. :)