18

Dear Dylan,

You have to stop calling me pretty! It's embarrassing, but every time I read those words, my face turns the shade of a tomato. (I cannot believe I just told you that.)

Thank you, truly. I used to hate when people would say they were sorry; they didn't know what I was going through and it wasn't their fault, so what the hell did they have to be sorry for? Some people think that being an only child is lucky...but it's one of the best things on earth to have someone to share your life with in the form of a sibling. They're one of your best friends in the entire world, and now that I'm technically an only child...I'm finding my world incredibly lonely as of late.

I think she's still with me too...I think that she and my mom are both up "there" somewhere, watching me and helping me along. My mom died when I was seven, she had ovarian cancer, and I knew she was dying for a long time. I miss both of them every day, but it's getting better. Believe it or not, your letters are the biggest part of that.

April was six. She was so young and so bright, it was cruel of whatever powers-that-be to take her away. April was the happiest little girl in the world; she found laughter in everything, and we spent everyday together. I would take her to the park, and the two of us along with my step mom would go to this ice cream shop in town and get monster sized sundaes to gorge ourselves on. Everything reminds me of April, lately. I'll see children on the street playing or hear a song she liked that makes me think of her, and I am both incredibly sad and yet still happy to remember her in a vibrant way.

I hope that you'll share your April story with me someday. You're right, it's uncomfortable and can be awkward to share your woes with a somewhat total stranger - but I predict that we'll be able to share things like that soon.

Lucas sounds like a lot of guys in my school, obsessed with partying and girls. My best friend, Megan, is my person. We grew up together just like you and Lucas did; we met in second grade, where she had stood up for me against some mean girls on the playground. If I remember correctly, she called them "evil puff-haired pixies" and to this day, it is my favorite thing she has ever said.

I thought about some things that tourists typically like here in Port, and I think I have a few things you might enjoy. First, there's the boardwalk. It's about two miles long, and it goes along the shoreline above our version of a beach. It's nothing like California's beaches, with rolling waves and sunshine (it actually rains a lot here), but there are fishermen often near the edge of the water. There are some nice restaurants and shops that people enjoy - I work in a bookstore right now, The Bookend.

I think that if you were here in person, the best place for you to go would be the gulch. Not many people know about it, but it's one of my favorite places to go. I sometimes walk there to clear my head and be alone in the quiet. There's a small cove, and it's often chilly so I would recommend bringing a jacket or blanket.

I have to tell you, I love that photo you took. That guy is an amazing artist, and you're an amazing photographer. The clear shot of the painting and the detail in the pixels is wonderful. I'm not really knowledgeable about photography, but I know good art (no matter what form) when I see it. You absolutely have to send me more photos you take.

What are some of your traditions with your mom? What makes them special for you?

Ha! I might need to meet your mom, just to see those pictures and hear those stories. Don't worry, if you're embarrassed, I won't tease you too much. I can't promise there will be no remarks about anything weird you did as a child, but I will go easy on you (maybe.)

My favorite authors? You're in for a long list if you ask me that. I love a mix of many, many genres; mystery, classics, romance, fiction, etc. I think my top three would have to be John Grisham, Fannie Flagg, and Ilsa J. Bick.

Of course, I'd love to know some of your favorite music. Got any recommendations?

I like that name - Crossroads. Sounds very angsty and perfect for the NY grunge scene. If you're okay with it, I'd love to hear one of your original songs. I bet you'd be a good rockstar; you've got the image for it - rockstars are usually attractive.

I can only hope to find my name as the author of a front page headline one day. Thank you for believing in my writing abilities.

Don't be embarrassed about not knowing what Port Townsend was! I can guarantee you that most people in the United States aren't super familiar with where it is or that it existed.

Dream girl? Don't tease me like that! I admire your view of modern day romantic relationships. I like to think my opinions about marriage come from my extensive knowledge of romance novels (my version of a chick flick.) I think you'd make a woman very happy someday with your teddy bear heart.

Don't worry about being a softie...sweet guys are honestly the most endearing kind of guy.

Yours,

Josephine

PS. Your nickname is totally going to be "teddy" from here on out. :)