Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Carson POV...

(Carson's Feral Indigo Eyes--------->)

Something was in the air, something raw and potent. It felt like my wolf was in a constant state of anticipation. Something akin to fire was on a slow burn beneath my skin, and living in the pack house with so many people around was grating on my nerves. I could hear the low murmurs of the ladies as they settled the children down for the night, and my restlessness was growing as the evening wore on little by little. Our scouts have yet to come up with any clues as to where the red wolf and his pack of filth were hiding. And my wolf didn't like it, not one bit. I still have yet to interrogate Nassine and Peyton was walking on thin ice if he didn't let me have access to her soon. The underlying noises were settling down in the house and I could smell Seth, his scent for the last couple of days have been driving my wolf into a frenzy. I had promised him that I would behave, but he was entering his heat and it was getting harder and harder  for me to keep my promise.

My legs were bouncing impatiently up and down as I sat in the den with Peyton, Lucas, Ben, Raphael, and Gregori. I was bored with the topic of the distention between Raphael's mate and Lucas' mate. Those women brought new meaning to the word nagging. I do not envy them in any way. It was worse now that everyone was now under the same roof. So the women had no choice but to be in close quarters with each other. Seth had already mentioned it to me that Kamali has been shadowing his every step, and he found it creepy. And as impatient as I have been, I had wound up growling at her and of course Lucas stepped in to protect his mate. So now she was wailing about people ganging up on her, and how she wasn't welcomed within her own pack. Nothing could have me any happier when Chantal had stepped in and promptly told her to stop being so dramatic, and to shut up. Well, that caused  her to run upstairs in hysterics with a tired looking Lucas trudging behind her at a much slower pace.

Then if that was enough, Tendra had witnessed the entire situation and had the nerve to scoff out loud about it, but Raphael  immediately stepped in and made sure she saw his displeasure. Tendra had wound up stalking off upstairs as well. When Lucas returned looking even more dejected, Peyton laid down the law. He stated that if either woman could not get over their pettiness, and if they continue to beinf the cause of added stress over the house then they would be asked to leave the pack. I was about to speak up at the stricken looks on their mates faces, but Peyton waved me off. He explained that he was tired of the constant squabbling, it is causing a division in the family and the whole purpose all along has been unity of the species and he wouldn't let two women with high aspirations ruin it for everyone. And I fully understood then where he was coming from, and sadly so did Lucas and Raphael, they quietly excused themselves from the room not long after and went to their mates. I didn't relish witnessing those conversations at all.

Peyton went back to discussing everything but what I wanted to hear, and that was when I was going to get the chance to interrogate Nassine. I felt my wolf stir  again and he began scratching just below the surface of my skin in agitation,  and I anxiously changed positions in my seat. Peyton shot a concerned glance towards me before continuing with his conversation that I was no longer paying any attention to. Then, it felt like switch had was flipped in my brain. My eyes flashed, and my vision cleared, letting me know that my wolf has partially taken over. I released a deep guttural growl before jumping to my feet. Ben immediately realised what was wrong with me and he threw  the door to the study door open since he was closest one to it. Peyton quickly eased himself out of the way as I flashed right by him. The last time this occurred, my wolf took over entirely and carried me straight to my mate's side, but this time I didn't need to shift in order to do that, Seth was right here in the house. People still scurried out of my way, I knew my eyes were glowing bright blue as my determined steps carried me to our rooms.