Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Carson POV...

(Carson's Cabin--------->)

I was lazing outside of my cabin relaxing in the afternoon sun, the rays warming my naked upper body.  My mind was clear and I was reaching out with my senses taking in the symphony of the surrounding forest. It was because I had my mind open did I register the faint sense of panic from the pack house, then there was scampering feet running through the brush. Dried leaves and twigs snapping under the person's running feet. It was how I was aware of the person's fear but determination to get to me, to deliver whatever decree I am sure my nephew had delegated the messenger with. I had come to terms long ago that my own pack feared me because of my abilities, no one has ever gone out of their way to interact with me ever since I almost killed a visiting Elder when I came into my powers and said Elder took to provoking me because of my age. Usually one did not gain the status of Elder until much later in life. I achieved that status in my early teens, therefore I was sequestered and revered, and most of all feared. Even my own family breathed a sigh of relief when my brother, the then Alpha sequestered me to my own cabin far enough from everyone but close enough to be guarded, not that I needed anyone to guard me. I could kill with just the touch of my hand and I render someone immobile with a glance.

 I listened as the Beta's steps got closer and slower as the approached my home. Another sign of his fear. Did these people not know that they had nothing to fear from me. The  men of the pack, most of them blood related gave me a wide berth, only including me when they had to, the women well forget it. Either they threw themselves at my feet hoping to become a mate to a wolf of power or they ran the other way in fear. Stories, some true, but most made up of my brutality, my aggressive need to control and my heavy hand used to achieve that control. I laughed most at those. The few women I have had the opportunity to take to my bed could never complain that I was harsh to them, the only complaint is from me because they had bored me to tears, nothing was ever special about those encounters and they barely achieved the release I craved. The one experiment with a man died before it even began because his fear overtook everything else in the situation and I never tried again. No point really, so I gave up on that end, if I never found a mate I was alright with that.

 Getting up I picked my shirt up the balcony railing and slipped the soft cotton over my head just as my nephew's Beta cleared the tree line.

 "Elder." He greeted as he bowed at the waist showing his respect. "Alpha has asked me to fetch you, there is a situation. We found a young man in the woods and he had our pack name and address scribbled on a piece of paper in his pocket. He was unconscious when he arrived, then he came to, but when he saw Alpha in wolf form he freaked, when Peyton changed back he had already scuttled of the bed and now he is out cold again but no one can touch him."

 I frowned at this information. "What do you mean, no one can touch him, Lucas. He is unconscious so therefore you all will just have to put him back to bed until he regains his senses again. Make sure everyone in that room is in human form when he does, Lucas."

 Lucas looked left to right, anywhere but directly at me. "The problem is anyone who tries get hurt, either burned severely or they are physically thrown to the other side of the room. This kid's entire body is glowing white, ever since he screamed and fell off the bed. No one can go anywhere near him. We have never seen anything like this. Alpha wants to see if you can compel the boy to calm down enough so we can help, he thinks it's because the boy is afraid and this is some kind of defense mechanism to protect himself." 

 I nodded my head in understanding. Peyton could be right with his assumptions. I sighed and stepped off the porch. I followed silently behind Lucas as he made his way through the path that led to the pack house. I didn't even bother to look around to see who all was waiting for me to show up to work some kind of miracle. I had to see this though, this was something I have never heard of, at least not recently. Our ancestors have though, but how could this be possible now, there haven't been any mixed breeding for decades amongst weres, vamps, and witches. Everyone has seemed to be keeping to their own species. I entered the house through the huge front doors and I climbed the ornate staircase to the second floor infirmary. Once I hit the landing I could see Peyton standing in front of an opened door pacing nervously in the hall. When he saw me approaching he threw his hands in the air. "Thank God, you are finally here. Last night late I received word from a member of the pack, Stephen. He stated that his family was under attack and he was sending us his children for safekeeping, but before anything more could be said the connection was lost. I tried but nothing. I believe him to be dead. I sent scouts this morning and instead of coming with news of Stephen they came back with this young man. I can smell he is a relation to Stephen but something is way off, then he comes to and just freaks like he saw the Devil himself, when I shifted back he looked so confused then he collapsed. His entire body started to glow and when Doc went to check his pulse he was thrown across the room by some unseen force. I tried, then and got burned if I wasn't a were, my hand would probably be sporting third degree burns." Peyton explained as he held his arm out to me, it was still an angry and blistered red.