Chapter 42

My mouth drops in horror as I see the raging inferno a foot from where I am standing.

We both begin to cough violently as the wind blows the black smoke in our direction. It covers the beautiful orange, pink sky.

I take a huge step backward and put my hands up as I start to feel the heat under my feet.

Suddenly, I feel a gun on my backside. My eyes begin to pool at the thought of having to cross that steel bridge.

What if it falls with us on it?!

I turn and look at Max in shock. He does look a little nervous. However, there is more determination on his face than anything else.

I hesitate but walk up the steps.

Once I'm at the top I begin to hyperventilate.

I was never afraid of heights until now.

Another explosion rocks the entire building!

I scream and close my eyes!

Max and I don't fall in due to the integrity of what we are crossing. The heat underneath our feet starts to grow hotter.

I take a step forward, holding onto the rail, and suddenly realize I can't move. Fear has completely taken over me. Max jams the gun into my side causing me to wince.

"Walk!"

"I can't! I can't! Please!" I yell holding tightly to both sides of the rail. I try moving my feet again but still, they don't respond.

"If you don't cross, we will die!" Max yells.

He then shoves me so hard that I fall. My knees and hands touch the steel floor. The steel underneath me is so hot that I yell in pain and immediately stand. Praying and crying does not sway Max.

I place one foot in front of the other and begin to walk slowly. I close my eyes, not wanting to look down.

"Samantha!"

My heart soars and I open my eyes. Max and I turn when we hear Ryder call for me.

"Ryder!" I yell, reaching for him.

The female guard jumps from behind him, swinging a four by four. Ryder steps back and punches her in the face. The guard throws her hands to her face, nursing a bloody nose, and drops the four by four.

He then grabs her by the back of the collar and walks a couple of feet to the edge, all while she struggles. He then throws her off the side of the building, not breaking a sweat.

Ryder turns to us, holding his bleeding wound. He looks like he's having a hard time breathing but has determination written all over his face.

My heart falls! He's badly hurt. I can see it.

"Your boyfriend looks hurt. I don't think he's going to make it," Max laughs in my ear.

Suddenly a black helicopter flies above us, causing my hair to sway. I look up at it in horror.

Agitated, Max throws his arm around my waist, lifts me up, and finishes the walk to the other side of the catwalk. All while I yell and kick.