Chapter 36

We arrive at the airstrip an hour later.

As I was told, there's another jet waiting for us.

As soon as we board the other new jet, I ask Ryder what will happen to his jet. He says it will be refueled and wait for our arrival. Then we will fly back home.

"Sir, the cars are waiting for us at Athens airport." LeAnn walks up to us, hanging up her cell phone.

"What do you mean by cars?" I ask confused. Ryder gives LeAnn a serious look. She nods and walks away.

He then looks back at me. "As I said before, you and LeAnn are going straight to the hotel. I'm going to do this alone. This isn't up for discussion."

Ryder and LeAnn have a total of four, big, metal suitcases. She goes through everything just to make sure they both have everything they need.

Ryder is on his laptop towards the back. I also hear Freddie's voice. He must be face timing him.

I make my way towards LeAnn.

"Seems excessive, right?" She asks.

I agree, watching her put the knives into their spot, in the suitcase, and some into duffle bags. "But it's not! We've done this a thousand times! By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. If your enemy is secured at all points, be prepared for him."

She's absolutely right! Better to be over-prepared than underprepared.

I wonder if she works with Ryder all the time?

"So you always accompany Ryder on these jobs of his?"

LeAnn laughs. "No. I was actually in special forces. I loved my job, I just didn't like who I was working for. The pay also sucked. I quit and got a random call from someone named Freddie one night."

"He said Ryder heard of my expertise and wanted to sit with me. I'm skilled with knives." She holds one up.

"He met with me and told me he needed a flight attendant, knowing full well my background. I laughed right in his face."

LeAnn takes a gun out of the case and inspects it, placing it back.

"How is a man going to assume I want to be in a skirt all day, fetching his steaks?! Well, that was until he told me how much I'd be making every time I got on his jet."

She looks at me and grins. "I didn't have to think it through, of course! What I make in one weekend, I would've made in 3 years in special forces. So anyway, I was torn. I loved the pay but didn't like serving him or any of his clients."

"Boring was to say the least! That was until one day he showed me his arsenal."

We both laugh when she realizes her double entendre.

She looks around. "I nearly passed out from excitement!"

"I'm in charge of making sure this plane is fully stocked. With weapons and food, of course! I like it though. Never knowing when the danger is going to come...but always ready for it," LeAnn says as she shrugs.

I look towards the cockpit. "And Captain...uh..." I motion to the cockpit not knowing the captain's name.

LeAnn takes another gun out and looks toward the cockpit. "Captain Willard and Captain Charles? Both good guys! They both served in the air force. They know what Ryder does. They never ask any questions and I don't think they care. They've been with Ryder a long time. I believe Willard use to fly his parents around also. I only came on the scene about three years ago."