Chapter 3

Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Elizabeth Hurley as Mr. and Mrs. Hallowell

Tonight is the big Hallowell Gala

Tonight is the big Hallowell Gala. I am almost done getting ready when my Dad walks into my childhood bedroom, at Hallo Mansion.

I had promised Mom I'd go with her to get our hair and nails done. Then we would run back here and get ready.

"Wow! Someone's trying to out-do their mother. You look lovely, baby doll," Daddy says smiling. He takes a sip of his drink. Its the usual scotch on the rocks in a small glass cup.

I turn around and play with the bottom half of the gown. I'm so nervous for Max to see me. "Thank you, Daddy."

My hair is in a bun. I have nude lips with smoky black eyes. I am wearing a black Valentino lace & chiffon gown. It's paired with black Louboutin platform pumps. The dress is see-thru in all the appropriate places.

Mom nearly died when she saw me put it on. She did not approve and said I looked like a woman of the night.

I laughed because technically it's her fault I was stuck with it. Valentino, himself, sent me this dress to wear tonight. As horrendous as it looked, no way would Mom let me wear anything else.

Daddy walks over to the mirror, where I am standing, and kisses my forehead. "So where's Max?" He asks, turning and taking a seat on my old bed.

I begin to put my earrings on. "He's going to meet us there. He's bringing his parents, remember?" Maybe my father had enough to drink tonight?

Every plate for tonight's dinner is twelve thousand dollars. Dad paid for Mr. and Mrs. Crawford. I offered to do that but Max told me no. When Daddy offered, he told Max if he didn't accept, he would be offended. He had no choice but to accept the offer.

"Of course I wouldn't forget! I can't wait to meet your in-laws. I just want them to have a great night. Your mother and I are also looking forward to having them here next weekend. I'll dissect them then."

I shake my head as I turn back to my father. He is a laid back man, which doesn't worry me. However, all the dissecting, which he spoke of, would be made by mom.

"Just please keep Mom under control. Don't let her embarrass me or herself." I put my hands together, pleading with him and take a step forward.

He gets up from the bed and walks towards me. "Oh sweetie, you know that's the part of the night I enjoy the most! Watching your mom make a fool of herself."

I laugh and pretend to hit him. "Oh, Daddy! I know she drives you up the wall, too."

He puts his arm around my shoulder. "She does, baby doll! Lord knows she does. But no one will ever take care of me the way she does. She's the love of my life." Dad kisses my forehead and walks off. He stops suddenly short of the door. "The limo will be leaving here in an hour!"