Chapter 8

I am sitting in the kitchen with Freddie. He's making us breakfast. I swore to keep my distance from everyone, however, Freddie isn't having it.

He tells me his purpose is to make sure I have at least one friend in this house. It turns out to be him.

"He is usually gone by 6 am," Freddie says as he cuts onions to put into my omelet. "And why, if I may ask, where you in bed with him?"

He looks at me and grins as he goes to the refrigerator. He then grabs the butter while waiting for my response.

"It's not what you think," I tell him as I shake my head, place a grape into my mouth, and sit on the island chair.

"Uh huh!" He smiles as he opens the lid to the butter and begins looking for a spatula.

"Ryder was screaming in his sleep, Freddie."

Any sane person will check. It's not normal to yell in your sleep. Then again, no one in their right mind checks on their kidnapper to make sure he is okay.

"Oh," Freddie says. He doesn't sound surprised at all.

"Wait, so Ryder screaming always happens? Since when?" I can't believe it. This is normal for everyone here?

"Since forever. I guess since his parents died, I think. Ryder and I have known each other since elementary school. It started with insomnia. After his parents were killed, they were upgraded to night terrors."

Sounds about right. After he let his confession slip last night about his folks, I'm not surprised that's the root of his night terrors.

If anything I feel bad for him. With that tough exterior of his, lays an interior as soft as a pillow. "So how are you entangled in all of this?" I grab my cup of orange juice and take a sip.

Freddie laughs but I am dead serious. "I'm not tangled in anything, honey. I want to be here! He's my best friend."

His words surprise me. As cruel and cold as Ryder is, I really can't imagine anyone wanting to be around him.

Freddie continues to chop. "In elementary school, I would get picked on by the other kids for being different. I liked boys and was obvious about it. One day, a group of boys decided to pick on me. I, of course, didn't know how to defend myself. I'm a lover, not a fighter, honey! Anywho, Ryder came out of nowhere and kicked all of their asses. My hero!"

He swoons and then immediately exhales. A look of sadness spreads throughout his face. "It happened once a year, every year till about six grade. That's the year his folks were murdered, in front of him no doubt."

"On the last day of school, some kids decide to pick on me. We were in the courtyard. Ryder saw the three boys and girl pushing me around. The girl was the leader. She punched me right in the face, breaking my nose. Ryder saw it and snapped. No one saw him running towards us."

"He gave the three boys a good tussle and bloody lips. The girl? Beat her to a pulp! Even I was horrified, but silently happy. I remember him standing up from repeated blows to her face and looking at me, his fist all bloody. He told me to defend myself. If I couldn't, to stay close to him. He would protect me."

"I instantly fell in love and we became good friends. You can say I helped him a little with his parent's death, he didn't have any friends, and he helped me with defending myself."

"One night I was at a sleepover, at his place, and its the first time I saw the beginning stage of his sleep deprivation. Ryder was living with his grandparents then. He stirred the entire night and I woke him up. I felt bad. Poor thing was drenched in sweat. I still don't know why I did it, but I mustered up the courage and kissed him. He immediately threw me off of the bed and punched me to the floor. I wasn't mad at him or anything! Poor kid was having nightmares and I tried to take advantage of him," Freddie says looking ashamed and clears his throat.