Chapter 14

"Yes, that's fine, Peter. Thank you so much for having everything set up for me. I'll see you in about two weeks."

Ryder puts the phone in his breast pocket and settles into his seat. We are on his private jet.

It's so beautiful! The entire cabin is cream and wood. All the pillows have lime green accents on them. I never cared for that color, but it matches perfectly in this space.

The smell of strawberries lingers all around me. It feels so peaceful being in here. Did I mention I am terrified of flying?

"Do you own this?" I ask looking around.

"Yes. You like it?" Ryder asks adjusting his gray suit and tie.

I nod. "So who were you just talking to?" I ask as he pulls his laptop out of his suitcase and places it on the table.

"Miss Nosy! I was talking to Peter Hudson." Ryder smiles, opening his laptop.

Wait! Did he really call me nosy?

"Nosy?! I am not nosy!" I pretend to act hurt.

Ryder ignores me and continues. "Peter is the president of Boeing. We talk every week. He's on vacation for the next two weeks, so he won't be able to fill me in on everything that will be taking place at the company."

I look at him surprised. "You completely ignored me! I am not nosy. There's a difference between nosiness and just being curious. I am somewhat curious. That's all!" I look at the ceiling and ponder what I just said. Did I just sound stupid?

"Yeah?" He speaks with a gruff voice, not bothering to look at me. "And I go to church every Sunday."

I squint at him.

I am going to ask about that portrait in the library when I begin to yawn and stretch.

"Come on." Ryder stands and puts his hand out so that I can grab it. I place my hand in his and follow him to the back of the cabin. He opens the door and ushers me in.

It's a bedroom. Furnished to look exactly like the cabin. The bed frame is dark polished wood, the bedding is cream, and the pillows are lime green. There's a nightstand to the left with an alarm clock on it.

"Is your favorite color lime green?"

He shakes his head. "No. I don't mind it though. The flight attendant is actually in charge of the interior decoration. It must be hers."

I guess it's nice that he's given her that power.

"Anywho, I know you are exhausted. Staying up all night with strange men and all."

I look at him and beam because I am actually exhausted. I turn and he wrap his arms around me.

He clears his throat. "Sam."

"Yes?" I have my eyes closed and don't want this embrace to end. It's the first time in weeks where I feel like I can breathe and everything is going to be okay.

Well, someone does wants me dead. I shouldn't rejoice yet.

Ryder rakes his hand through my hair. I feel him hesitate and stop.

He clears his throat again. "Will you be my girlfriend? Well after you get rid of the fiancé, of course. No pressure!"

I open my eyes and look up at him. He has so many expressions on his face. Worry, happiness, nervousness, sadness. Yet fear is the most evident. I grab his face and stare into his eyes.

What am I searching for? An answer? It's obvious that he needs me but do I want the job? Wait! Am I falling for him?

That shouldn't be the only reason to say yes. Or is it?