Chapter 34

Kate Mara as LeAnn Sampson

I sigh.

"Ryder, wake up!"

I smack him on the face, startling him. He jumps and looks around confused for a second. When he looks at me, I notice his eyes are bloodshot red, and tears are threatening to fall from them.

"I hadn't noticed I fell asleep! I'm sorry!" Ryder rakes his hair and sits up, trying to compose himself. He opens his laptop and begins staring at the screen, then rubbing his eyes.

I sit back as the Flight Attendant comes with my plate and a cup of wine. She asks Ryder if he's hungry. He nods.

White rice, parmesan chicken, and a mixture of vegetables. My mouth waters as I look at my plate but then I decide to not eat it.

My parents are all I can think about at this moment. The Attendant appears with his plate and his glass of wine.

"LeAnn, may I have a cup of water, please?" Ryder asks.

She turns and smiles. "Sure thing, Mr. Forñay!"

Oh, I tell myself. That's her name!

After Ryder clears half of his plate, I decide to take a couple of bites. I can't eat everything on my plate but I need to make sure my energy is up!

We aren't exactly on vacation or anything. This is probably a suicide mission to get to my parents.

One that scares me half to death but nevertheless, I am going!

It's going to take about twelve hours just to land and refuel in Africa, then another hour to get to Athens, where we will drive into Santorini. That alone takes half an hour.

"You're not going to finish your meal?" Ryder brings me back from my thoughts.

"Uh, no! I've eaten enough." I sigh and look out of the window. I bring my knees to my chest and wrap my arms around them.

I have just married a psychopath and now I am fifty thousand feet in the air with the man that kidnapped me.

Not once, but twice!

Did I mention I am in love with him?

Now we are on our way to stop my psychopath husband from killing my parents.

All because he's power and money hungry!

Ryder clears his throat and crosses his arms, staring at me. LeAnn comes back and grabs our plates.

"Listen, Sam. I know you want to hear an apology but I'm not sorry for how things played out."

I snap my neck back at him. Did he really just say that?!

"Oh, you're not sorry for pretending to care for me?! For using me as bait, kidnapping me, and leaving me to rot?! You knew there was something off about Max and you wait a week before my wedding to say something?!" I chuckle wryly.

His brows furrow. "I tried to tell you! You didn't want to listen! What did you want me to do?!" Ryder snaps back, visibly angry.

It really hurts me that he feels he's in the right.

He passes his hand through his hair, trying to calm himself down. He then goes to grab my hand.

I hold onto my legs tighter so he can't grab me. I don't want him touching me at all!

"If I have to be a monster to you, again, then so be it! I will help you get your parents back and I'll kill that son of a bitch for hurting you. After that, I promise to disappear! I won't call you or anything. It'll be like I never existed."