Chapter 21

It had been days since I woke up in California

What am I doing here, and more importantly where is Ryder?

The nights seem the worst. They drag for eternity because I can't sleep. And when I do, I keep having the same nightmare:

I am standing in the middle an old, burnt up ballroom. It looks exactly like Chateau Hallo.

The only source of light comes from the moon, which shines through several broken windows ahead and up top. Piles of ashes smoke around me. The fire must have been recent.

I look down at myself and see that I'm in a gown. It's the same one I wore the night of the gala. The black Valentino lace and chiffon gown. However, this one is torn and dirty. My hair is in a bun and I am also barefoot.

I step forward and immediately stop. In the corner, between the shadows and the moonlight, sat someone playing a grand, black piano. Their back is toward me.

I strain, trying to hear the music they are playing. There is none.

The person begins to sway as they play. Even still, I can't hear anything.

Curious that I long to hear whatever music the pianist is playing.

I am about to call out to whomever it is when golden candelabras begin to flicker on above and around me.

My heart begins to race when I notice they're levitating about ten feet from the ground.

I suddenly hear the piano playing, but it isn't loud enough to where I am able to recognize the music.

I look towards it and I'm able to see a little more clearly.

It's a man.

He wearing a black tuxedo and has his head covered in some sort of black garment.

The music suddenly gets louder, where I am able to recognize it. It sounds like a creepy and slower version of Cutting Crews, 'Died in your Arms.'

I look around frightened! Where am I?!

I turn back to the mysterious piano player but he is no longer there.

The piano stands alone and continues to play on its own.

I am terrified to be here!

Looking around, I see what looks like an open door.

I'm about to walk through when a hand gently goes around my waist and pulls me back gently, feeling someone against my back.

My heart races as the hand rests beneath my breasts. I freeze, looking down at the red, gloved hand.

Without any fear, I lay my hand on the stranger's hand. We then begin to sway to the music the piano is still playing.

I close my eyes and smile as we continue to dance.