Chapter 9

An hour goes by and I grow impatient. Where is Ryder?!

I look out the window and see a 2013 black, chevy impala pull up. I only know this because Mom's assistant has one.

The driver door opens and Ryder gets out. He has on his black suit and sunglasses. In his right hand he's carrying a big, metal, silver suitcase. My mouth waters.

Why did this killer have to look so irresistible?

I panic when he starts making his way towards the front door. Should I run back upstairs? Should I just stand here?

Right when I decide to run upstairs, Freddie and one of the maids walk up to the front door. I have seen her around. She's an older woman and walks hunched a little. She always has a pep in her step and smiles whenever she sees me. You can tell she really likes working here.

Both Freddie and the maid are looking very serious, and they don't seem to notice I am standing off to the side. The maid opens the door for Ryder. He walks in.

The maid then takes his suitcase and walks off with it. Ryder then takes his jacket off and hands it to Freddie, along with his black gloves and sunglasses. It is then that I notice blood on his face and all over his white button up suit. Is he hurt?!

I am horrified and can't look away!

The maid returns to the foyer and grabs everything from Freddie, walking off again. Freddie pulls out a wet wipe and hands it to Ryder.

Once he's done wiping his face, Ryder turns and looks at me. "Be ready to go in an hour and dress warmly. It's cold outside."

He walks right by me and starts walking up the stairs.

"Target?" Freddie asks, following him upstairs.

"Terminated. I need the next..."

I can't hear the rest of the exchange between Ryder and Freddie. I don't even know where to go. What have I just witnessed? That's blood all over him and I'm positive it isn't his.

I turn around and see the maid. My gut tells me to follow her. However, something else tells me not to.

I'll follow her.

The maid walks into the kitchen. She then opens another door leading, I'm assuming, to the basement. Looking around, I see no one else so I tiptoe as fast as I can and catch the door before it closes.

Thank goodness! It's another hand scanner door.

If it had shut behind her, I wouldn't have been able to follow her.

I look around the kitchen again. I have to make sure Freddie nor Ryder see where I am heading.

As I walk down the stairs, I notice the walls on both sides. It looks old and the yellowish paint is peeling off. Strange that the entire home is in pristine condition and the basement isn't given any thought. The smell of bleach fills my nostrils and gives me an instant headache. What are they cleaning?

I then start to doubt my decision. Maybe this is a bad idea. I don't know what I'm walking into. If I'm caught, then I definitely won't be able to go outside either.