Chapter 10

Almost an hour later, we pull into a property. One that looks abandoned.

A farm.

Ryder drives onto it and stops in front of an old, shabby-looking house surrounded by dirt. An old couple is sitting on the porch.

He gets out of the car and walks around to me, opening the door.

"Mr. and Mrs. Finnegan!" He yells as he pulls me out of the car. I am sick and tired of him grabbing me whenever he feels like he can. I yank my arm from his grasp. He glares at me and grabs the sweater from the car, throwing it at my face. My mouth drops.

The nerve!

"Forñay! Everything is set up! Just the way you like it!" The older man yells in an Irish accent.

"Thank you, sir!"

The woman on the porch looks up at me and smiles. She's very pale, and her hair is very long and gray. It's in two braids. The older man is chewing on tobacco. I give a disgusted look as he spits onto his porch.

The woman smiles at Ryder and starts to rock on her chair, humming a tune I've never heard.

Ryder walks to the front of the car and grabs his metal suitcase.

Oh no, I tell myself. This old couple probably lets him kill on their property.

They chop the person up after Ryder kills them and feeds them to the pigs or whatever animals they had around here. I look around nervously. Ryder will probably pay them handsomely for it too.

Ryder grabs me by my arm and leads me down a dirt path, rocks on both sides. There are no trees or grass. I don't even see any buildings or other homes anywhere near this property.

"I can walk. Thank you!" I snap at him, yanking my arm away from him.

"I'm sure you can." He sighs, continuing to walk.

"Where are we going anyway? I don't see anything but dirt and rocks."

"Over there," he says as he points. "There's a barn."

I stop and squint. I see a tiny blip in the distance.

"Are you serious?! Is this my punishment?! You're going to make me walk to my death!? Do you see how far it is?! I am wearing flats! I can feel every pebble with every step I take! I'll never make it!"

Ryder stops and throws his head back. I know I am annoying. I don't care! Why should I have to walk that far?

"Need me to carry you, princess?" Ryder grins at me and drops his suitcase, walking towards me.

"No! What are you doing?! Stop it!" I yell, throwing my hands up.

Ryder casually lifts me over his shoulder. His right hand cradling my ass.

I am appalled! How dare he?!

"Put me down!" I begin punching his back. He bends his knees, picks up his suitcase, and starts walking again.

"I will put you down if you shut up the hell up? I don't want to hear another word until we reach the barn." I can tell he is wearing his creepy, unemotional face.

As he walks, my head bops around, and I am looking at the trail of dirt upside down. I cling to the back of his shirt, nervous I'll fall.

How humiliating!

I am even offended that he makes it seem like I talk too much. "You want me to shut up?! As if I talk too much! God, you are so annoying!"

"No. You're the one being annoying. Yes or no, Samantha? Are you going to be quiet? I have no problem carrying you."