Chapter 7

Almost two weeks has gone by and I am given permission to roam the house. As long as I don't try anything stupid, of course. And by stupid, he means escaping.

There's literally no way for me too.

I've tried everything.

This house is a fortress but from inside. Once you are in, you aren't getting out.

I spend more and more time in the library. Not for the books or anything. It's only because no one comes in here.

For anything.

I'd rather be lonely than mingle with them!

I finish dusting the entire room when I notice the television. I turn it on and sit on the couch.

I am channel surfing when something catches my eye. CNN is reporting some breaking news and my picture is on the screen! I immediately stand up and put the volume on high.

"She is about five foot seven and weights one hundred and fifty pounds. If anyone sees her please contact the police. We want her back! Safe and sound. I love you, Sam. Come back to us, baby!"

It's Max!

"...In the others news..." Continues the anchor. "Senate-nominee Roger Olsen is still missing. His family had reported him missing a little over two months ago. Officials believe Olsen may have run away and is in hiding. He was last seen with his bodyguard and driver. They, also, haven't been found. With elections just a couple months away, it's looks like Lori Baskins may win the race..."

Max and my parents are looking for me!

I knew they would never give up hope!

I smile and turn the television off when it dawns on me. Look for a house phone, if not, someone here has a cell phone I can steal.

"We don't have a house phone." The voice comes from the doorway. I freeze. It's him.

He is leaning against the door frame with his hands in his pocket. "Because of what I do for a living, no one here, aside from Freddie and I, has a phone. Before any of my workers enter this home, they leave their belongings with Freddie. These people are loyal to me. I help them and their families. So before you think you'll have anyone on your side, you're kidding yourself."

How did he know I was going to look for a phone?

I slowly turn face him. He terrifies me down to my core. However, being scared isn't going to help me at the moment. Standing up to him will be my play right now. I have to get out of here. Inhaling a shaky breath, I walk up to him.

"Why are you doing this? Just give me something, please! I need to know what's going on. Why am I here?"

Unamused, he scratches his nose and takes a seat directly in front of me. "It's nothing personal. You should really appreciate my hospitality. Who wouldn't love to live here?"

He looks around the room. He's being sarcastic, of course, but I can sense he's even lying to himself.

I sit on the couch, in front of him, as he crosses his arms and looks toward the painting behind the desk. There's a hint of sadness in his eyes but his face quickly changes to unemotional as he looks back at me.

"Can I at least know the name of the person who plans on killing me? I think it's only fair." God knows how long I have been trapped here and I don't even know his name.

My ungracious host leans back, crossing his legs and stares at me for a couple of seconds. Not one time does he blink. His eyes feel like they will burn holes through mine.