Wickedly Yours

★★★★
Four out of five stars because of the effective use of language!

Author: queen_of_sass

Genre: Historical Romance

Review:

I started reading out loud because I loved the way the words sounded. The book was even more beautiful when read out loud.

The plot of the story is realistic in historical aspects, without the effect of boring readers. In fact, the author wrote it in such an intriguing way!

The settings and characters are thoroughly described.

Lady Sophia Brighton is my favourite character because of how she defies society's expectations of a woman — that they are not allowed to think, have opinions, read or do anything a man can. Her stained innocence soon disintegrated into nothing because of a man. This transition happened in a convincing way with realistic portrayals of Sophia's emotions. She is honestly a very lifelike character to whom I think a lot of reader's will relate.

Colette's actions suggest that she's quite the opposite of Sophia. Her refusal to think of any other option than to listen to her father's orders indicates that she believes in the traditional rule that women should be submissive to men. This is further illustrated when her fear of being manhandled overpowers her dignity when Darius makes his inappropriate advances. Furthermore, we – the readers – are lead to doubt Colette's undivided love for her siblings (and even her intelligence) just like Sophia did when she discovered Colette's betrayal.

The twins are never seen. This is unusual and leads the reader to support the idea that Colette shouldn't bend to her father's will. Why? Because the readers don't get the chance to know these characters and get attached to them.

The language used is very beautiful. It definitely sets the atmosphere of an historical era. The author also used language in such a way that this book's sexual chapters didn't become too heated or messy, preventing it from becoming a smut book.

Grammar could be slightly improved as I found a few mistakes.

I am anxiously awaiting the next part!