Grandpa helps me slowly to my feet and then helps me out of my sleepwear. I nearly collapse when the water is warm enough, but he catches me before I make that critical mistake. He's gentle, helping me as I feel dizzy. The way he interacts with me, it reminds me of when I was a little girl, Grandpa and I making bubble beards on our chins. We would laugh and joke, the days I miss...

...why are these memories so painful now when they used to be something so wonderful and precious?

I'm in and out of consciousness when slaves enter the room, cleaning up the mess I'd made on the floor. After they leave and the medication had been brought, I'm able to focus a bit better. Grandpa sits nearby, asking me, "What happened?"

The blood...?

I don't know if I should tell him...but...secrets don't help between the few who know the encompassing truth.

"Merle contacted me," when I say this, Grandpa's face turns pale with utter confusion and disbelief. It only continues to widen in unexplainable fear when I finish, "What's more, I was able to connect back with him for a second...Grandpa...how?"

Grandpa shakes his head and says, "I don't know...you're world's apart in time right now."

"I'm scared," I feel uneasy with everything, not able to pinpoint exactly what.

"It will all be okay," he reassures me, but also asks, "is your head okay?"

Nodding, the pain I'd felt is long gone, replying, "Yes...it was just for a moment."

"I know, but this is foreign territory for us. The fact you were able to connect with one another when the both of you do not even exist in this era, it's unusual," Grandpa rubs his chin.

"Everything about me is that way it seems..." my voice trails off with hurt lingering.

Grandpa releases a sigh and says, "The greatest gifts are ones we least expect." I scrunch my nose at him and he chuckles, standing to his feet and turning away, "I need to help prepare for selection as it will be in a little while. You should finish up and get a little more rest before all slaves are called to the ballroom."

"Do I have to?" I pout, though Grandpa can't see it as he keeps his back to me.

"Unfortunately, yes. All slaves are fair game to be chosen," Grandpa bursts my bubble.

I move my hand across the water and sigh, "It's a waste of time, we already know who's going to pick who."

"Not necessarily," Grandpa rests his hand on the door handle, stating, "Rose hasn't pissed of Aohdan, so he might be smarter not to select his beloved in spite of Rose's actions and wanting to rile her up."

Who would he choose?"

"Aohdan won't select you," Grandpa chuckles and reassures me, "it's beneath a council member to jeopardize the life of an unborn child...this action would be scrutinized. Breeders aren't to be toyed with when it comes to losing a potential slave."

A light smile works its way onto my face. This provides me with some comfort.

Grandpa leaves the bathroom a moment later, closing the door behind him. I finish up my bath and begin to get ready, seeing few girls from Grandpa's slave group talking with one another on the beds. Most of them are wary, asking each other, "Who is Master going to select?"

This thought worries them, though I keep to myself on my bed. One of them states, "Well, she's safe from selection." The obvious pointing is implied when their eyes quickly land on me, only to dart away moments later.