They Can't Know

Lauren's POV
*the next day*

"So how long have you've been receiving these?", I asked Ty.

"More the likely the same time you've been receiving them. Each time it feels worse when you get them though.", Ty sighed.

I switched back and forth to the large piles of pink envelopes that Ty and I have received over the weeks they've been mailed to us. I groaned at the state we could be in and the risk we're taking. Each letter says the same thing. Has the same warning. Nothing else. I don't even know how much longer we have until we can prevent  CPS taking my siblings.

"Lauren we have to act now. I don't think we have a lot of time left.", Ty said.

"What are we gonna do Ty? We can't just hide them. We have nowhere to go and I'm more then sure the government can track us down.", I grunted.

"There's gotta be another way. You see Mike soon right?", Ty asked.

"Yeah, three days to be exact.", I mumbled.

"Why not try to get his consent? Get him to write a letter so we can mail it to CPS and show that rightful guardian refuses to let up and wants the kids.", Ty suggested.

"It's not gonna work. Mike is in a damn mental institution, he's sick, this is the whole reason why we're getting threats like these.", I lifted up one of the envelopes.

"But Lauren he's been in there for quite awhile now. I'm sure he's recovered enough to actually have his brain working.", Ty pointed out.

"That may be so Ty, but CPS is still not gonna listen to him. Not until he's out of the institution.", I flopped onto a seat in the dining room.

I signed deeply as I rubbed my temples to sooth the on growing headache that was forming. Ty took a seat himself and stared blankly at the envelopes. I slightly looked up at him, I knew his brain was turning. But he seemed hesitant to state something.

"What are you thinking Ty?", I asked.

He looked at me. He licked his lips nervously as be tucked both of his hands into his pockets. I quirked an eyebrow at him waiting for an answer.

"We have to tell them.", Ty said rather boldly.

My eyes widened and my heart dropped. Is he insane? I could never do that. I just can't.

"No.", I hissed.

"Why not? They're gonna find out one way or another. And frankly I want that way to be you telling them what could be at stake for the future. Not having them found out last minute when we have CPS guards raging in here and taking them by force.", Ty raised his voice.

"They'll be so heartbroken if I tell them! They'll hate me. They're the only family I have left. I've lost my mother, I don't see Mike as my father anymore,and I don't even have you anymore! So why would I want to lose Chris and Taylor?!", I yelled.

"You listen to me Jauregui! If you don't tell them by the time CPS does come and take them away not only will you lose them physically, you'll lose them emotionally too. They will know you lied to them and kept something from them, they will look at you as if you're the enemy as if you're to blame. They will no longer trust you and just like you don't see Mike as a father they won't see you like their sister. Because you've lied to them. You've given them false hope that they will be ok. Who knows what CPS is gonna do to them. But right now it's now or never Lauren.", Ty stated.

"Then my answer is never.", I said.

"Lauren you've got to be kidding me.", Ty groaned.

"I'm not", I crossed my arms. "I won't tell them. They. can't. know.", I paused at every word as I stepped up to right to Ty's face.