"I'm stable..." her voice holds a tone, one that gets under my skin and grates against it. It's a few moments later that she blinks her eyelids rapidly, her eyes returning to normal. She doubles over, breathing hard as she cries softly, saying repeatedly, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

"Shh," Grandpa Sebby calms her, his hands around her shoulders, aiding her as he leads her toward the door. He turns to me and says, "I'm sorry, Dot...this is my sister, Selenia Danvers. She's not entirely well and I apologize for what just happened."

"It's-" I'm cut off as he walks into the hall and out of sight, exhaling on the next breath, "-okay..." I release a small sigh, looking around the room.

I take a few moments, gathering my thoughts before I take the plates that belong to dad and I. After setting them on the desk across the room, I remove my boots, stretching before I slip in between the sheets and covers.

I wish the door was shut and locked.

The door swings on its hinges, closing before I hear the lock click faintly into place.

It's not magic...

...an innate ability that belonged once to my mom. It was transitioned to me, the day I'd been born. Her gift became weaker over the years until I'd fully come into my own.

Since she'd first understood its properties, she believed it to hold a magical root source. She never found the answer, because it does not exist in books or myths...legends that are reserved for those with knowledge beyond our recognition.

Mom and dad forbade me to use it, not unless I absolutely needed it...

...apparently I did, to pull Grandpa into the pocket world.

It's not something I have to practice in order to control it better...that's just it, in forbidding me from using it daily, my parents helped me understand not to rely on its incomprehensible power.

Even dad had said many times that he didn't understand how I should have it...

...it's not out of a place of spite, but because he genuinely was concerned how I'd acquired a trait known to Old-World Gods...but even among them, it was like finding a needle in a haystack.

Lying on my back with my hands beneath my head, I stare up at the ceiling. My chest rises and falls slowly, finding a rhythm while my eyelids begin to grow heavy.

It's the following late morning when I'm introduced to Grandpa Sebby's pack, the last of brunch being cleaned up by all. Though, the two of us are readying to leave...

"It was nice to meet you, Dot," Tansy smiles, one without a hidden callus thought. I guess with sleep, she had a chance to let my praise for her son and my dad sink in. I'm thankful to be leaving on good terms.

"Likewise, Tansy," I wave goodbye to her, turning on my heels to leave after I'd finished saying goodbye to others...though I'm nearly knocked to the ground when I feel arms wrap around my thighs.

A voice mumbles into my thigh as its dad saying, "Please come back."

My heart skips a beat, not wanting these emotions to rise as all I want is to return to my era without the turmoil it's in. Fighting back those tears, I place a hand on his head and reply, "One day, we'll meet again."

Dad nods, squeezing my thighs once more in a tight hug before he releases me. He takes a few steps back, his chin lowered to his chest as he stands alongside Tansy. A soft smile forms on my lips, nodding at them both while Grandpa Sebby opens the door to the lodge.

Our boots create soft echoes as we walk across the ice, the sheet of protection lifting before we cross the threshold. Even strides take us through the tunnels, leading out of the mountain before I gaze out across the vast expanse of snow and ice.