Chapter 51- Peyton POV- Strong or Not

As we reached the familiar white building, we all walked into the waiting area and my mother walked up to the front desk to check us in. I sat down next to Josh and put my hand on his.

"It's going to be okay," I told him. He nodded as my mom came back over to us.

"They are having us go one at a time, they want Peyton to go first," she explained. I nodded and took a deep breath, nervous to see the shape she was in. Dr. Jansen walked out, holding a clipboard.

"Peyton, are you ready?" he asked. I nodded and stood up. My dad patted my shoulder and gave me a supportive smile. I did not look Dr. Jansen in the eye and followed him to the back and he stopped at a door, guarded by two men in SWAT uniforms.

"Listen, Peyton. I know you are mad, but it was important that we fixed Meredith, considering we know for a fact her gene edit was active. The Emersons mistakenly said that they operated on their daughters instead of a daughter. We are simply enforcing the law," Dr. Jansen explained. I looked up at him and stared at him in his dark brown eyes.

"You have no idea how much being in here hurt me and scared me and seeing that Meredith needs to go through this also is even worse," I snarled.

"But," Dr. Jansen started to say but I cut him off.

"Just let me see her," I interrupted.

"As you wish," he said, opening the door and a SWAT officer followed me. I immediately noticed that it was the same room or cell I guess, I had stayed in. Meredith was sitting on the bed, wearing maroon scrubs and a hospital bracelet.

"Peyton?" she exclaimed. She raced over to me and hugged me.

"Hey, no physical contact. We need to be sure that Meredith is healthy before the surgery tomorrow," the SWAT officer reprimanded. She quickly jumped off of me.

"I didn't know you were coming! Oh my gosh, I missed you so much," Meredith expressed.

"I missed you too! Are you okay? How are they treating you?" I asked.

"I'm fine, a little traumatized I guess, but fine. They treat me, okay, but I'm just scared," she expressed.

"I'm sure. I felt the same way. When did they get you?" I asked as we both sat down on the bed.

"Yesterday. I was in school actually. I was in history, and they just came and took me. It was quite humiliating. Mom and Dad are so stupid, they outed me," she expressed.

"That's awful. Hey, everything will be fine. I was able to get through and so will you," I encouraged.

"They said I will be losing a lot of weight after the surgery and that I will be extremely weak for the next couple of months. This surgery is riskier than yours was P. They know my edit is active for sure," she said.

"Hey, you can do this," I told her.

"One minute left," the SWAT officer announced.

"Thank you for coming, I really appreciate it," she said.

"Of course. I'm not the only one here," I said with a smile and she gave me a confused expression. "Josh is here too."

"Oh my gosh, for real?" she asked.

"Yes, he will be in after me," I replied and she smiled.

"He's so good to me," she said.

"He better be, and if he isn't you tell me," I instructed and she laughed.

"Alright, time to go, Peyton," the SWAT officer instructed.

"Love you, P," she said.

"Love you too, you can do this," I encouraged. She nodded and I left the room and Josh was waiting outside.

"How is she?" he asked me.

"Pretty good, but she's extremely scared. Just be there for her. You can't cry, Josh. She won't be able to handle it," I told him. I noticed a thin tear go down his cheek and I hugged him. "Take a breath, okay?" He nodded and took a deep breath.

"I just love her so much," he expressed.

"I know you do, Josh. Just make sure she knows that. It's what she needs."